Blue Ridge Mountains Walking & Hiking Tour New!
- Explore the grounds of opulent Biltmore Estate and luxuriate at the estate's elegant inn
- The breathtakingly beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains, with spectacular waterfalls and awe-inspiring vistas
- From art deco to abstract expressionism, creativity thrives in eclectic Asheville
- Stroll the pedestrian-friendly downtown of charming Highlands, filled with galleries, antiques shops and cafés
- Lose yourself in the pristine beauty of deep gorges, granitic rock domes, peaceful woodland and idyllic waterfalls
Call 800-462-2848, Every day 6am-6pm,PST
Asheville & Southern Appalachia
Consider the great places to explore on foot. The Swiss Alps. The streets of Venice. But would you include the rhododendron-shaded trails of Southern Appalachia? Maybe notat least not yet. Not until you've seen the mist settling below the peaks of the Black Mountains. Not until you've experienced the otherworldly calm of the Blue Ridge on a quiet morning. Not until you've ventured amid the rolling hills, rocky crags, and eclectic towns overflowing with Southern charm. No, few besides the locals have heard of Bartram, Panthertown or Sunset Rock, and few "outsiders" will have considered them among the great hikes. We won't tell if you won't.
Day 1 Asheville welcomes you with an appealing blend of Jazz Age sophistication and the bohemian eccentricities of the "hippest art scene in the American South" Meander through the North Carolina Arboretum, which boasts an extraordinary native plant collection Catch your breath at the sight of French-inspired Biltmore Estate, which still reigns as America's largest privately owned residence, and one of the world's most opulent properties.
Day 2 The Blue Ridge Mountains, with stretch-forever vistas of valleys, mountains, woodland, waterfalls and historic sites Hike amid luxuriant rhododendron and rocky granite crags to some of the most stunning panoramic views Partake in a private tour of the Biltmore House and Gardens or treat yourself to a tasting at Antler Hill Village and Winery.
Day 3 Discover "Yosemite of the East" in pristine Panthertown Valley A wonderful network of hiking trails leads to glorious waterfalls, rare plant communities and lofty overlooks of the valley, sheer cliffs and highland bogs.
Day 4 Breathtaking views await on our hike along the popular Bartram Trail From Scaly Mountain, admire the endless waves of undulating hills stretching out around you Feel like switching gears this afternoon? A visit to the nearby Bascomb Art Center or our hotel's award-winning spa might be hard to resist.
Day 5 Postcard-perfect Dry Falls, set beneath a natural bluff that allows you to venture behind the waterfall Witness impressive geologic formations on the hike to the top of Whiteside Mountain, an icon of the Nantahala National Forest As you walk, keep an eye out for peregrine falcons nesting on rock ledges.
Inn on Biltmore Estate
Asheville (2 nights) Savor turn-of-the-century elegance and breathtaking views of the Blue Ridge Mountains at this gracious inn, nestled on Biltmore's majestic estate. Travel + Leisure World's Best. (pool, spa)
Old Edwards Inn & Spa
Highlands (2 nights) This refined mountain getaway offers European style right on the main street of artsy Highlands. Travel + Leisure World's Best. (pool, spa)
Guest Reviews About This Trip
I've always known that this corner of North Carolina was home to some really great walking and hiking opportunities - yet I was still surprised to find out just how perfect it is for Backroads-style active travel. There's the beautiful Blue Ridge Parkway, offering hikes of varied lengths and levels - including a few challenging ascents if you're up for it, always with panoramic views at the top. There are dramatic granite domes, pristine streams and waterfalls, lush rhododendron forests and welcoming small towns rich with history. I hope you'll join us and fall in love with this area as we have!- Regional Manager, North America
Trip Dates & Prices
Please click on a date below for specific pricing and possible itinerary variations.
2015 CLASSIC DATES
- 9/6 - 9/10 ( $2898 per person, double occ., +$860 for single occ.
- 9/13 - 9/17 ( $2798 per person, double occ., +$860 for single occ.
- 9/20 - 9/24 ( $2798 per person, double occ., +$860 for single occ.
- 9/27 - 10/1 ( $2798 per person, double occ., +$860 for single occ.
- 10/4 - 10/8 ( $2998 per person, double occ., +$860 for single occ.
- 10/11 - 10/15 ( $2998 per person, double occ., +$860 for single occ.
- 10/18 - 10/22 ( $2998 per person, double occ., +$860 for single occ.
- 10/25 - 10/29 ( $2698 per person, double occ., +$860 for single occ.
2016 CLASSIC DATES
- 5/9 - 5/13 ( $2898 per person, double occ., +$860 for single occ.
- 5/16 - 5/20 ( $2898 per person, double occ., +$860 for single occ.
- 5/23 - 5/27 ( $2898 per person, double occ., +$860 for single occ.
- 5/30 - 6/3 ( $2898 per person, double occ., +$860 for single occ.
- 6/6 - 6/10 ( $2898 per person, double occ., +$860 for single occ.
- 6/13 - 6/17 ( $2898 per person, double occ., +$860 for single occ.
- 9/5 - 9/9 ( $2898 per person, double occ., +$860 for single occ.
- 9/12 - 9/16 ( $2898 per person, double occ., +$860 for single occ.
- 9/19 - 9/23 ( $2898 per person, double occ., +$860 for single occ.
- 9/26 - 9/30 ( $2898 per person, double occ., +$860 for single occ.
Don't see your ideal travel date? Call us at 800-462-2848 for Private Trip date availability.
This Trip Is Rated Level 2-4
Routes For All Abilities
Every Backroads trip is designed to appeal to a wide variety of interests and fitness levels. We know your pace may vary from one day to the next-and your traveling companion's may differ somewhat from yours. So we present a range of mileage options, and each day you decide exactly what and how much you want to do.
|Daily Route Options|
|Level 1||Level 2||Level 3||Level 4||Level 5|
|miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain|
The terrain on this trip ranges from easy level walks to rocky and uneven forested trails and mountain paths.
Private Trips Options & Pricing
Gather your favorite people to share a Backroads adventure on a ready-to-book Private Trip - featuring all the legendary Backroads hallmarks from expert leaders to unforgettable activities.
You can pick from a large selection of dates for your group of 8 or more. Call us for date availability.
If your party has fewer than 8 guests, or if your preferred date is not available, we'll create a departure just for you.
Pricing for Private Trips (prices may vary based on departure date)
|2 - 3 guests from $4,298 pp dbl. occ.||8 - 9 guests from $3,298 pp dbl. occ.|
|4 - 5 guests from $3,698 pp dbl. occ.||10 - 11 guests from $2,998 pp dbl. occ.|
|6 - 7 guests from $3,498 pp dbl. occ.||12 or more guests from $2,698 pp dbl. occ.|
|2 - 3 guests from $4,698 pp dbl. occ.||8 - 9 guests from $3,598 pp dbl. occ.|
|4 - 5 guests from $4,098 pp dbl. occ.||10 - 11 guests from $3,198 pp dbl. occ.|
|6 - 7 guests from $3,798 pp dbl. occ.||12 or more guests from $2,898 pp dbl. occ.|
All Private Singles-Solos trips require a minimum of 16 guests.