Provence Active Gourmet Walking Tour
- Learn secrets of classic Provençal dishes from a Michelin-starred chef
- Private tastings of the best local wine, including delicate Côtes du Luberon
- Olives, goat cheese, herbes de Provence and other classic Provençal specialties
- Postcard-perfect routes through limestone hills, perched villages and vineyards
- Walk with local art historian Marie-Charlotte Bouton, a van Gogh expert
Call 800-462-2848, Every day 6am-6pm,PST
A Flavorful Journey in the Luberon, Les Baux & Windswept Alpilles
"Provence is made for cooking," raves writer Luke Barr in Travel + Leisure. "The markets, fruit-and-vegetable stands, butchers, fishmongers, bakeries, and cheese shops all have the best stuff imaginable... Staples like wine and bread are transcendent." On this unforgettable trip, you'll walk in the very forests, fields and orchards that nurture each flavorful produit du terroir. You'll sample vintages where the grapes are grown. And expand your culinary repertoire alongside our charming local friends. Provence was made for this.
Days 1-2 Sip, taste and savor - Michelin-starred cuisine and sublime local wines await There's no better place to kick off your trip than at La Bonne Etape, our stunning 17th-century accommodations Join the hotel's own Michelin-starred chef Jany Gleize on a walk through the organic kitchen garden The perched villages of Gordes and Roussillon are yours to discover en route Stroll around a nearby lake before sitting down to an exquisite dinner Roll up your sleeves during a private cooking class taught by chef Gleize in his kitchen.
Days 3-4 Voyage further into the Luberon Valley - the land of honey, lavender and cherries immortalized in Peter Mayle's A Year in Provence Explore Bonnieux with a local guide, perhaps climbing the 12th-century church tower for views of the valley below Hike past typical Provençal farms and orchards, cypress groves, olive trees and vineyards of the Côtes du Luberon Superb Michelin-starred cuisine awaits at Hostellerie Le Phébus Lose yourself in the wild windswept Alpilles Poised above mysterious caves and eroded limestone, medieval Les Baux is a joy to explore.
Days 5-6 Walk through pine woodland and along limestone hills, where goats graze on wild rosemary thyme and sage - herbes de Provence that give the local chèvre its unique flavor Alongside a local art scholar, gaze at the very same landscape painted by Vincent van Gogh over a century ago A Provençal chef reveals how to create regional cuisine using figs, tomatoes, cherries, artichokes and herbs fresh from his garden and the farmers' market.
La Bonne Etape
Château-Arnoux (1 night) Family-owned for generations, this splendid hotel - originally a 17th-century post house - envelopes you in luxury and spoils you with Michelin-starred cuisine. A Relais & Châteaux member. (pool)
Hostellerie Le Phébus
Joucas (2 nights) Enjoy the Michelin-starred restaurant at this elegant hotel, nestled in a tranquil forested setting outside of town. A Relais & Châteaux member. (pool, spa)
Le Château des Alpilles
St-Rémy-de-Provence (2 nights) A refined 19th-century manor house owned and lovingly renovated by a mother and daughter. (pool)
Guest Reviews About This Trip
Whether you're already a fan of French cooking or you're hoping to develop a deeper appreciation for la cuisine provençale we think you'll love this new walking & cooking trip. In the kitchen and out on the trail with our longtime local friends, you'll discover the region's rich culinary traditions (and even learn a trade secret or two!) as you taste, sip and savor your way through sunny southern France.- Trip Development Coordinator, Europe
Trip Dates & Prices
Please click on a date below for specific pricing and possible itinerary variations.
2014 CLASSIC DATES
- 9/7 - 9/12 ( $4698 per person, double occ., +$650 for single occ.
- 9/14 - 9/19 ( $4598 per person, double occ., +$650 for single occ.
- 9/28 - 10/3 ( $4498 per person, double occ., +$650 for single occ.
- 10/5 - 10/10 ( $4398 per person, double occ., +$650 for single occ.
2015 CLASSIC DATES
- 5/3 - 5/8 * Special Mother-Daughter departure! ( $4298 per person, double occ., +$1300 for single occ.
- 5/24 - 5/29 ( $4298 per person, double occ., +$1300 for single occ.
- 5/31 - 6/5 ( $4498 per person, double occ., +$1300 for single occ.
- 6/14 - 6/19 ( $4298 per person, double occ., +$1300 for single occ.
- 6/28 - 7/3 ( $4298 per person, double occ., +$1300 for single occ.
- 9/6 - 9/11 ( $4298 per person, double occ., +$1300 for single occ.
- 9/13 - 9/18 ( $4298 per person, double occ., +$1300 for single occ.
- 9/20 - 9/25 ( $4298 per person, double occ., +$1300 for single occ.
- 9/27 - 10/2 ( $4298 per person, double occ., +$1300 for single occ.
- 10/4 - 10/9 ( $4298 per person, double occ., +$1300 for single occ.
Don't see your ideal travel date? Call us at 800-462-2848 for Private Trip date availability.
This Trip Is Rated Level 1-4
Routes For All Abilities
Every Backroads trip is designed to appeal to a wide variety of interests and fitness levels. We know your pace may vary from one day to the next-and your traveling companion's may differ somewhat from yours. So we present a range of mileage options, and each day you decide exactly what and how much you want to do.
|Daily Route Options|
|Level 1||Level 2||Level 3||Level 4||Level 5|
|miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain|
|St-Paul-de-Mausole & van Gogh Walking Tour (1 Hour)|
The terrain on this trip includes alpine forested trails, limestone hill paths and village walkways.
* Includes a shuttle
Private Trips Options & Pricing
Gather your favorite people to share a Backroads adventure on a ready-to-book Private Trip - featuring all the legendary Backroads hallmarks from expert leaders to unforgettable activities.
You can pick from a large selection of dates for your group of 8 or more. Call us for date availability.
If your party has fewer than 8 guests, or if your preferred date is not available, we'll create a departure just for you.
Pricing for Private Trips (prices may vary based on departure date)
|2 - 3 guests from $6,498 pp dbl. occ.||8 - 9 guests from $5,098 pp dbl. occ.|
|4 - 5 guests from $5,898 pp dbl. occ.||10 - 11 guests from $4,498 pp dbl. occ.|
|6 - 7 guests from $5,398 pp dbl. occ.||12 or more guests from $4,198 pp dbl. occ.|
|2 - 3 guests from $6,598 pp dbl. occ.||8 - 9 guests from $5,098 pp dbl. occ.|
|4 - 5 guests from $5,798 pp dbl. occ.||10 - 11 guests from $4,598 pp dbl. occ.|
|6 - 7 guests from $5,398 pp dbl. occ.||12 or more guests from $4,298 pp dbl. occ.|