Patagonia Walking & Hiking Tour
- Hike in the shadow of the Fitz Roy's jagged granite spires
- Ice-trek on Perito Moreno Glacier
- Cruise on crystalline waters among icebergs and fjords
- Savor regional varietals at an exclusive Argentine wine tasting
- Horseback ride in the vast Patagonian landscape - no better place than this!
Among Glaciers & Andean Mountain Peaks in Argentina
That whole "time flies" theory just doesn't work in Patagonia. Imagine traveling slowly on a small ferry through a tremendous fjord on Lake Argentino toward Upsala Glacier. Time is moving so slowly but you can't possibly take in the scenery fast enough. The Andes are so windswept they almost look like petrified ocean waves, white caps and all. The lake is bouncing a clear blue sky back up at you. Framing everything perfectly. It's like time freezes in Patagonia even though you're having fun.
Days 1-3 Hike below Cerro Fitz Roy's jagged granite spires to gorgeous Laguna de los Tres, formed by a plunging glacier Mirador de los Cóndores reveals mammoth views over the Torre and Fitz Roy peaks Marvel at the sight of ancient forests and otherworldly surroundings Malbec, pinot noir, torrontés and more - discover delectable Argentine vintages at a wine tasting.
Days 4-5 Ice-trek on Perito Moreno Glacier - crampons and our expert guide give you the edge Learn to make authentic Argentine empanadas from a local expert In El Calafate, try the homemade ice cream flavored with a local berry, calafate, after which the town is named Explore the World Heritage site of Los Glaciares National Park, a frozen landscape of crevasses and breathtakingly blue ice.
Day 6 Unforgettable boat rides among icebergs and fjords - get ready for a close encounter with famous Upsala Glacier Watch for soaring condors along Cristina Bay before ascending through lenga forests to a stunning panorama of lakes, mountains and ice fields Sip yerba mate, the local beverage, like Patagonian cowboys Enjoy a tour of an estancia and learn about its history from the family's private museum collection.
Days 7-8 Try on gaucho life with a guided horseback ride across the pampas A rocky trail leads to Fossil Canyon, featuring startlingly colored stones and ammonite fossils believed to be millions of years old.
El Chaltén (3 nights) Enjoy sleek modern style and spectacular views of the snowcapped granite spires of Cerro Fitz Roy and Cerro Torre.
La Anita Valley (2 nights) "Sophisticated yet homey - the kind of place where you don't worry about kicking off your muddy boots when you return from a hike," says Travel + Leisure about this remote country lodge on the Patagonian steppe. A Relais & Châteaux member. (pool)
Upsala Glacier (2 nights) A favorite among our guests, this remote historic ranch founded in 1914 offers the perfect launching point for hikes into Patagonia's wilderness; it's accessible only by boat, after a cruise on Lake Argentino past the dramatic Upsala Glacier.
Guest Reviews About This Trip
The walk on the Perito Moreno Glacier was one of the best experiences of any we've had. We were able to climb up and down over peaks and valleys, jumping across crevasses and spending three hours of unadulterated excitement and personal satisfaction on the glacier... We count this as the best vacation we've ever had.- Thousand Oaks, CA
This was my favorite of all of the Backroads trips I have taken. What a great adventure! The food and wine on this trip were incredible at every location. It far exceeded my expectations, and every meal made my taste buds dance with happiness. I have never found a company I like more than Backroads. It truly is my number one travel company!- Green Valley, AZ
One of the best trips I have experienced. The hotels were fantastic. The guides were the best. Loved the glacier walking--wow! Enjoyed the horseback riding. Liked that there were several hiking distance options, and local guides to assist so that the Backroads guides could accommodate all the hikers interests in the hikes.- Titusville, NJ
Trip Dates & Prices
Please click on a date below for specific pricing and possible itinerary variations.
2014 CLASSIC DATES
- 12/20 - 12/27 ( $6198 per person, double occ., +$980 for single occ.
- 12/22 - 12/29 ( $6298 per person, double occ., +$980 for single occ.
- 12/29 - 1/5 ( $5898 per person, double occ., +$980 for single occ.
- 12/31 - 1/7 ( $5698 per person, double occ., +$980 for single occ.
2015 CLASSIC DATES
- 1/4 - 1/11 ( $5198 per person, double occ., +$980 for single occ.
- 1/11 - 1/18 ( $5798 per person, double occ., +$980 for single occ.
- 1/18 - 1/25 ( $5598 per person, double occ., +$980 for single occ.
- 1/25 - 2/1 ( $5598 per person, double occ., +$980 for single occ.
- 1/31 - 2/7 ( $5198 per person, double occ., +$980 for single occ.
- 2/8 - 2/15 ( $5198 per person, double occ., +$980 for single occ.
- 2/21 - 2/28 ( $5698 per person, double occ., +$980 for single occ.
- 3/1 - 3/8 ( $5198 per person, double occ., +$980 for single occ.
- 3/8 - 3/15 ( $5498 per person, double occ., +$980 for single occ.
- 3/15 - 3/22 ( $5198 per person, double occ., +$980 for single occ.
- 3/22 - 3/29 ( $5198 per person, double occ., +$980 for single occ.
- 3/29 - 4/5 ( $5198 per person, double occ., +$980 for single occ.
- 12/19 - 12/26 ( $5398 per person, double occ., +$980 for single occ.
- 12/21 - 12/28 ( $5398 per person, double occ., +$980 for single occ.
- 12/23 - 12/30 ( $5698 per person, double occ., +$980 for single occ.
- 12/28 - 1/4 ( $5698 per person, double occ., +$980 for single occ.
- 12/30 - 1/6 ( $5398 per person, double occ., +$980 for single occ.
Don't see your ideal travel date? Call us at 800-462-2848 for Private Trip date availability.
This Trip Is Rated Level 2-5
Routes For All Abilities
Every Backroads trip is designed to appeal to a wide variety of interests and fitness levels. We know your pace may vary from one day to the next-and your traveling companion's may differ somewhat from yours. So we present a range of mileage options, and each day you decide exactly what and how much you want to do.
|Daily Route Options|
|Level 1||Level 2||Level 3||Level 4||Level 5|
|miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain|
|Perito Moreno Glacier Mini-Trek (2 Hours)|
|Boat Cruise (3 Hours)|
|Horseback Riding (2 Hours)|
The terrain on this trip includes mountain trails along fjords and streams and oak-lined paths.
* Includes a shuttle
Private Trips Options & Pricing
Gather your favorite people to share a Backroads adventure on a ready-to-book Private Trip - featuring all the legendary Backroads hallmarks from expert leaders to unforgettable activities.
You can pick any open date for your group of 8 or more except for trips departing during the last two weeks of December, where a 16 guest minimum is required. Call us for date availability.
Pricing for Private Trips (prices may vary based on departure date)
|8 - 9 guests from $5,898 pp dbl. occ.||12 or more guests from $4,998 pp dbl. occ.|
|10 - 11 guests from $5,598 pp dbl. occ.|
|8 - 9 guests from $5,798 pp dbl. occ.||12 or more guests from $4,998 pp dbl. occ.|
|10 - 11 guests from $5,298 pp dbl. occ.|
For groups of 2 to 7 guests, please call for Custom Trip pricing.