Northern Argentina & a Taste of Brazil Walking & Hiking Tour New!
- Journey to the renowned Cafayate wine region, birthplace of robust malbec and fruity torrontés
- Hike through an astonishing array of landscapes, from windswept high desert to luxuriant tropical jungle
- Admire the shops, markets and lovely colonial architecture of Salta
- Catch your breath as you behold spectacular Iguazú Falls, one of the world's seven natural wonders
- Meet members of Brazil's indigenous rain forest Mbyá tribe and learn about their rich culture
Call 800-462-2848, Every day 6am-6pm,PST
Andean Culture, the World's Highest Vineyards & Iguazú Falls
It's like a landscape captured on canvas by Georgia O'Keeffe. Sandstone cliffs rising from the high desert floor in great swirls of crimson and gold. Gaping chasms and rust-red monoliths pressed against the vivid blue sky. It's surreal, solitary and breathtaking. And this scene in the stunning Quebrada de Cafayate is just the beginningwait until you peer down from the Brazilian side of spectacular Iguazú Falls. The region's raw splendor and diversity is unparalleled. Let the torrontés kick in... And whether on camera or in your sketchbook, capture it in your memory forever.
Days 1-2 Walk in the arid Quebrada de Cafayate amid dramatic red cliffs and wind-scoured rock formations In the Andes foothills, stride among vineyards, cacti and carob trees in the world's highest-altitude wine region Consider a visit to the Wine Museum and a taste of locally made torrontésand cabernet-flavored ice cream in the pleasant town of Cafayate At a family-run winery, we're treated to splendid regional cuisine and wine accompanied by an intimate performance of Andean coplas and bagualas music.
Days 3-4 Drive on wild, remote and rugged Ruta 40 through the unique lunar-like landscape of Quebrada de las Flechas (Canyon of the Arrows) Walk to Bodega Colomé for a tour and wine tasting Wander through small adobe settlements, goat and sheep farms and agricultural land A local rancher walks with us to Seclantás for views of the stark desert and high Nevado de Cachi peak Enjoy a gaucho-style lunch of pollo al disco Witness traditional weaving techniques in the artisan center of El Colte and learn to make empanadas at a local home.
Days 5-6 With huge sky above and vast terrain all around you, hike in the rarefied air of the Andes Descend from Piedra de Molino Pass at 11,000 feet, perhaps viewing condors, guanacos and chinchilla-like viscachas Enjoy beef prepared asado on the grill, followed by a lively local folkloric performance Get to know the idyllic colonial city of Salta "La Linda" (The Beautiful) with a local guide and on your own Fly from the Andes to the tropical region of Iguazú.
Days 7-9 An up-close look at thundering Iguazú Falls, one of the largest waterfalls on Earth, is unforgettable! Colorful parrots, turtles and caimans may make an appearance as you trek to the powerful Garganta del Diablo (Devil's Throat) Falls Hike through Misiones Forest to the village of the Mbaya indigenous tribe, who demonstrate ancestral crafts and share their hopes for the future Across the border in Brazil, soak up a spellbinding wide-angle vista of the falls Gather for a gourmet dinner at our hotel, set near the waterfall's edge.
Patios de Cafayate Wine Hotel
Cafayate (2 nights) A former colonial mansion surrounded by vineyards and extensive gardens. (pool)
Hacienda de Molinos
Molinos (1 night) Nestled alongside the Calchaquí River near famed Ruta 40, this traditional hacienda was home to the governor of Salta in the 17th-century. (pool)
La Merced del Alto
Cachi (1 night) A whitewashed Spanish-style hacienda in a remote and rugged setting below the Nevado de Cachi. (pool, spa)
House of Jasmines
Salta (1 night) This romantic "120-year-old house exudes understated charm," according to the Hideaway Report. A Relais & Châteaux member. Condé Nast Traveler Gold List. (pool, spa)
Loi Suites Iguazu Hotel
Puerto Iguazú (2 nights) Set deep in the rain forest, this luxurious haven features a beautiful pool area and outdoor bar. (pool, spa)
Belmond Hotel das Cataratas
Foz do Iguaçu (1 night) An elegant colonial-style hotel set in a national park near the edge of Iguazú Falls. (pool, spa, tennis)
Guest Reviews About This Trip
I hope you'll share our excitement over this new Walking & Hiking trip in one of the most untouched regions of Argentina. We'll explore the diverse landscapes, visit local farms, sample wines from the highest-altitude vineyards in the world, enjoy classic Argentine cuisine and get a taste of Brazil when we cross the border to marvel at Iguazú Falls - one of the seven wonders of nature and a UNESCO World Heritage Site.- Regional Manager, Latin America
Trip Dates & Prices
Please click on a date below for specific pricing and possible itinerary variations.
2015 CLASSIC DATES
- 9/13 - 9/21 ( $5248 per person, double occ., +$1320 for single occ. , +$350 for internal airfare
- 10/11 - 10/19 ( $5248 per person, double occ., +$1320 for single occ. , +$420 for internal airfare
2016 CLASSIC DATES
- 4/24 - 5/2 ( $5298 per person, double occ., +$1320 for single occ. , +$320 for internal airfare
- 5/8 - 5/16 ( $5298 per person, double occ., +$1320 for single occ. , +$320 for internal airfare
- 5/22 - 5/30 ( $5298 per person, double occ., +$1320 for single occ. , +$320 for internal airfare
- 6/5 - 6/13 ( $5298 per person, double occ., +$1320 for single occ. , +$320 for internal airfare
- 8/27 - 9/4 ( $5298 per person, double occ., +$1320 for single occ. , +$320 for internal airfare
- 9/11 - 9/19 ( $5298 per person, double occ., +$1320 for single occ. , +$320 for internal airfare
- 9/18 - 9/26 ( $5298 per person, double occ., +$1320 for single occ. , +$320 for internal airfare
- 9/25 - 10/3 ( $5298 per person, double occ., +$1320 for single occ. , +$320 for internal airfare
- 10/9 - 10/17 ( $5298 per person, double occ., +$1320 for single occ. , +$320 for internal airfare
Don't see your ideal travel date? Call us at 800-462-2848 for Private Trip date availability.
This Trip Is Rated Level 2-4
Routes For All Abilities
Every Backroads trip is designed to appeal to a wide variety of interests and fitness levels. We know your pace may vary from one day to the next-and your traveling companion's may differ somewhat from yours. So we present a range of mileage options, and each day you decide exactly what and how much you want to do.
|Daily Route Options|
|Level 1||Level 2||Level 3||Level 4||Level 5|
|miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain|
|6||Walking Tour of Salta (1 Hour)|
* Includes a shuttle
Private Trips Options & Pricing
Gather your favorite people to share a Backroads adventure on a ready-to-book Private Trip - featuring all the legendary Backroads hallmarks from expert leaders to unforgettable activities.
You can pick from a large selection of dates for your group of 8 or more. Call us for date availability.
If your party has fewer than 8 guests, or if your preferred date is not available, we'll create a departure just for you.
Pricing for Private Trips (prices may vary based on departure date)
|8 - 9 guests from $5,798 pp dbl. occ.||12 or more guests from $4,998 pp dbl. occ.|
|10 - 11 guests from $5,298 pp dbl. occ.|
|8 - 9 guests from $6,098 pp dbl. occ.||12 or more guests from $5,298 pp dbl. occ.|
|10 - 11 guests from $5,598 pp dbl. occ.|
All Private Singles-Solos trips require a minimum of 16 guests.
For groups of 2 to 7 guests, please call for Custom Trip pricing.