Panama Multisport Tour
- Marvel at the Panama Canal, a 100-year-old engineering feat of epic proportions
- Discover Panama's enthralling history and gloriously rich indigenous cultures
- Venture into the cloud forest and learn about coffee production
- Savor Boquete's cool highland air and stunning forest as you hike in the realm of mighty Barú Volcano
- Relax and enjoy the good life at resplendent tropical retreats
From the Canal to the Tropical Highlands & Pacific Coast
Beautiful, authentic and astonishing - Panama has something for everyone. Bike in the Chiriquí highlands, a region so lush you can almost feel the forest growing around you. Hike in the shadow of Barú Volcano, the country's loftiest peak. Be awed by the Panama Canal. Get your buzz on at a coffee plantation, and find bliss on a secluded beach. And don't forget the people - seven indigenous cultures call this paradise home. ¿No habla español? No worries - English works here too. You'll fit right in. But feel like you're somewhere exotic. In Panama!
Day 1 Visit an indigenous Emberá village and learn about this community's culture and traditional cuisine Marvel at the Panama Canal, a 100-year-old engineering feat of epic proportions Find out about the canal's historic significance, its construction and watershed during a private guided tour of the Miraflores Locks museum Cruise by motorized piragua on the Chagres River - a journey upstream through the rain forest of Chagres National Park, one of the richest birding areas in the world!
Days 2-3 Delight in Boquete's cool highland air and stunning forest as you hike and bike beneath mighty Barú Volcano, perhaps hearing the roar of howler monkeys Take a scenic flight to David in western Panama and journey into the vaulting Cordillera Central mountain range Tour and taste at Finca Lérida, a historic shade-grown coffee plantation.
Days 4-6 Splash in the Pacific and relax at resplendent tropical retreats Descend by bike into the heart of the Chiriquí province, passing through coffee plantations and small towns set against a backdrop of towering volcanoes Boat from Boca Chica into the pristine Chiriquí Gulf National Marine Park to snorkel among dolphins and schools of colorful fish Find your own piece of Panama heaven at a sublimely secluded eco-lodge Bask on a hidden tropical island beach and swim in the ocean Greet the morning with a kayak excursion through the mangroves of Boca Chica before you fly back to Panama City.
Gamboa Rainforest Resort
Gamboa (1 night) Bordering wildlife-rich Soberanía National Park, this stunning former residence of the Panama Canal's administrators has been restored to its 1930s splendor. (pool, spa)
Panamonte Inn & Spa
Boquete (2 nights) Since opening in 1914, this charming Colonial-style hotel - with beautiful gardens and a cool comfortable setting at 4,000 feet - has hosted such notable guests as Teddy Roosevelt and Charles Lindbergh. (spa)
Bocas del Mar
Boca Chica (2 nights) Truly paradise found - this boutique hotel offers contemporary-styled bungalows amid lovely gardens, just steps from the water's edge. (pool)
Guest Reviews About This Trip
One of the words that comes to mind when I think about Panama is "diversity." For such a small country, the array of landscapes, plants and animals here is truly astonishing! And I think our Panama Multisport trips, with their great blend of activities - biking, hiking, snorkeling, boating, naturalist-guided outings, and more - offer the ideal introduction to such variety. In fact, you'll probably come away from your trip having done and seen more with Backroads in six days than you'd experience in a couple weeks on your own!- Regional Manager, Latin America
Trip Dates & Prices
Please click on a date below for specific pricing and possible itinerary variations.
2014 CLASSIC DATES
- 12/21 - 12/26 ( $4098 per person, double occ., +$830 for single occ. , +$310 for internal airfare
- 12/31 - 1/5 ( $3798 per person, double occ., +$830 for single occ. , +$310 for internal airfare
2015 CLASSIC DATES
- 1/4 - 1/9 ( $3598 per person, double occ., +$830 for single occ. , +$310 for internal airfare
- 1/18 - 1/23 ( $3598 per person, double occ., +$830 for single occ. , +$310 for internal airfare
- 2/1 - 2/6 ( $3598 per person, double occ., +$830 for single occ. , +$310 for internal airfare
- 2/22 - 2/27 ( $3598 per person, double occ., +$830 for single occ. , +$310 for internal airfare
- 3/1 - 3/6 ( $3598 per person, double occ., +$830 for single occ. , +$310 for internal airfare
- 4/5 - 4/10 ( $3598 per person, double occ., +$830 for single occ. , +$310 for internal airfare
- 12/20 - 12/25 ( $3798 per person, double occ., +$830 for single occ. , +$310 for internal airfare
- 12/26 - 12/31 ( $3798 per person, double occ., +$830 for single occ. , +$310 for internal airfare
2015 SINGLES-SOLOS DATES
- 12/30 - 1/4 ( $3798 per person, double occ., +$830 for single occ. , +$310 for internal airfare
Don't see your ideal travel date? Call us at 800-462-2848 for Private Trip date availability.
This Trip Is Rated Level 1-3
Routes For All Abilities
Every Backroads trip is designed to appeal to a wide variety of interests and fitness levels. We know your pace may vary from one day to the next-and your traveling companion's may differ somewhat from yours. So we present a range of mileage options, and each day you decide exactly what and how much you want to do.
|Daily Route Options|
|Level 1||Level 2||Level 3||Level 4||Level 5|
|miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain|
|1||Other||Miraflores Locks Guided Tour (1 Hour)|
|Other||Embera Community Visit (3 Hours)|
|5||Other||Gulf of Chiriquí Island Excursion (5 Hours)|
|Other||Afternoon Optional Activities|
|6||Kayaking||around Boca Chica (2 Hours)|
On this trip, we'll be using titanium mountain bikes that are just right for the non-technical dirt road riding as well as the paved riding. (approximately 5% dirt and 95% paved).
* Includes a shuttle
Private Trips Options & Pricing
Gather your favorite people to share a Backroads adventure on a ready-to-book Private Trip - featuring all the legendary Backroads hallmarks from expert leaders to unforgettable activities.
You can pick any open date for your group of 8 or more except for trips departing during the last two weeks of December, where a 16 guest minimum is required. Call us for date availability.
Pricing for Private Trips (prices may vary based on departure date)
|8 - 9 guests from $4,398 pp dbl. occ.||12 or more guests from $3,598 pp dbl. occ.|
|10 - 11 guests from $3,898 pp dbl. occ.|
For groups of 2 to 7 guests, please call for Custom Trip pricing.