Costa Rica Family Multisport Tour
- Kids paint their own Boruca masks with an indigenous artist
- Watch for signs of life from the volcano while hiking, biking and soaking in hot springs
- Manuel Antonio National Park's wealth of wildlife: monkeys, lizards, sloths, kingfishers and more
- Sea-kayak across a bay to a beautiful remote beach
- Befriend furry and feathery critters at a wildlife rescue center
From the Cloud Forest to Arenal Volcano & the Pacific Coast
With over a quarter of its land protected in parks and preserves, Costa Rica is paradise for anyone who loves wildlife and outdoor adventure. Howler monkeys scamper through the trees, and keel-billed toucans color the sky against a natural backdrop of a majestic volcano, a magnificent lake, flowing rivers and lush greenery. Jungle hikes, mountain biking and a kayaking adventure expose you to the region's incredible biodiversity, from the Los Angeles Cloud Forest to Arenal Volcano National Park and the Pacific coast. Your family is sure to have fun, relax and learn the true meaning of pura vida!
Day 1 Hike through the Los Angeles Cloud Forest, where an interpretive walk showcases a spectacular array of plants and animals Jump-start the day with a tour (and tasting!) at a coffee plantation Visit a hummingbird sanctuary and hear the hum of over 30 varieties of these tiny colorful birds.
Days 2-3 Hot springs soaking and volcano gazing Befriend furry and feathery characters at a wildlife rescue center Bike rolling paved roads flanked by plantations of papaya, sugarcane and yucca to La Fortuna, nestled near the foot of Arenal Volcano Take in scenic lake views on a private cruise on Lake Arenal Fly through the treetops on a zip-line, indulge in a massage or simply relax by the pool.
Day 4 Kids check out snakes and frogs at a serpentarium while adults trek across a lava field in Arenal Volcano National Park Our private charter plane whisks us to the white-sand beaches of Quepos At our tropical resort, stroll through a butterfly garden, hike to the beach or cool off in the pool.
Days 5-6 In Manuel Antonio National Park, discover white-faced monkeys swinging in the branches and prehistoric-looking iguanas slithering up tree trunks Kids paint their own Boruca masks with an indigenous artist While away the afternoon soaking up the sun or splashing in the waves of the Pacific Sea-kayak on calm crystalline waters that lead to a secluded beach.
Villa Blanca Cloud Forest Hotel & Nature Reserve
Los Angeles Cloud Forest (1 night) This eco-conscious hotel features charming casitas, each with a splendid view of the cloud forest. (spa)
Hotel Mountain Paradise
La Fortuna (2 nights) When skies are clear, relish unobstructed views of Arenal Volcano from this hilltop resort. (pool, spa)
Si Como No Resort
(2 nights) Surrounded by lush tropical jungle above the Pacific Ocean and Manuel Antonio National Park, this inviting boutique hotel has been recognized for its ongoing commitment to sustainability. (pool, spa)
Guest Reviews About This Trip
We had an amazing time! Backroads is seamless in its transition from activity to activity, and really allows one to experience a variety of things in one packed trip, without any stress! It's my favorite way to travel!- Mountain Brook, AL
This trip is a cultural smorgasborg, full of different interesting ecologic environments, people, and activities. It was a wonderful introduction to Costa Rica.- Reno, NV
This trip was fantastic and executed flawlessly by the Backroads leaders and in-country support team. They made it easy to let go and relax and just enjoy the activities and the amazing beauty of this country. We had great opportunities to see and enjoy the country's wildlife in its natural habitats.- Santa Clara, CA
Trip Dates & Prices
Please click on a date below for specific pricing and possible itinerary variations.
2014 FAMILY DATES
- 12/25 - 12/30 ( $3298 per person, double occ., +$520 for single occ. , +$180 for internal airfare
- 12/27 - 1/1 ( $3298 per person, double occ., +$520 for single occ. , +$180 for internal airfare
- 12/29 - 1/3 ( $3298 per person, double occ., +$520 for single occ. , +$180 for internal airfare
2015 FAMILY DATES
- 3/15 - 3/20 ( $2798 per person, double occ., +$720 for single occ. , +$220 for internal airfare
- 3/22 - 3/27 ( $2798 per person, double occ., +$720 for single occ. , +$220 for internal airfare
- 3/29 - 4/3 ( $2898 per person, double occ., +$720 for single occ. , +$220 for internal airfare
- 4/5 - 4/10 ( $2798 per person, double occ., +$720 for single occ. , +$220 for internal airfare
- 6/21 - 6/26 ( $2898 per person, double occ., +$720 for single occ. , +$220 for internal airfare
- 7/5 - 7/10 ( $2798 per person, double occ., +$720 for single occ. , +$220 for internal airfare
- 12/19 - 12/24 ( $2998 per person, double occ., +$720 for single occ. , +$220 for internal airfare
- 12/21 - 12/26 ( $2998 per person, double occ., +$720 for single occ. , +$220 for internal airfare
- 12/25 - 12/30 ( $2998 per person, double occ., +$720 for single occ. , +$220 for internal airfare
- 12/27 - 1/1 ( $2998 per person, double occ., +$720 for single occ. , +$220 for internal airfare
- 12/29 - 1/3 ( $2998 per person, double occ., +$720 for single occ. , +$220 for internal airfare
Don't see your ideal travel date? Call us at 800-462-2848 for Private Trip date availability.
This Trip Is Rated Level 1-3
Routes For All Abilities
Every Backroads trip is designed to appeal to a wide variety of interests and fitness levels. We know your pace may vary from one day to the next-and your traveling companion's may differ somewhat from yours. So we present a range of mileage options, and each day you decide exactly what and how much you want to do.
|Daily Route Options|
|Level 1||Level 2||Level 3||Level 4||Level 5|
|miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain|
|Other||Boat Ride on Lake Arenal (30 Minutes)|
|Other||Optional Zip-Lining or Hiking|
|Kids||Serpentarium Visit (1 Hour)|
|Other||Butterfly Garden Tour|
|Kids||Boruca Mask Painting|
|6||Kayaking||Around Quepos (2 Hours)|
On this trip, we'll be using titanium mountain bikes that are just right for the non-technical dirt road riding as well as the paved riding.
There is a lot to experience in Costa Rica and this trip is nothing short of action-packed! We have kept route distances short to ensure you have plenty of time to take advantage of the multitude of activities available. While distances suggest a Level 1-2 trip, we've rated it 1-3 instead, due to the abundance of activities, as well as the heat, which require a bit more get-up-and-go. Please note that Route Ratings are for single sport activities and may not reflect the level of combined activities.
* Includes a shuttle
Private Trips Options & Pricing
Gather your favorite people to share a Backroads adventure on a ready-to-book Private Trip - featuring all the legendary Backroads hallmarks from expert leaders to unforgettable activities.
You can pick any open date for your group of 8 or more except for trips departing during the last two weeks of December, where a 16 guest minimum is required. Call us for date availability.
Pricing for Private Trips (prices may vary based on departure date)
|8 - 9 guests from $3,698 pp dbl. occ.||12 or more guests from $2,798 pp dbl. occ.|
|10 - 11 guests from $3,398 pp dbl. occ.|
|8 - 9 guests from $3,598 pp dbl. occ.||12 or more guests from $2,798 pp dbl. occ.|
|10 - 11 guests from $3,098 pp dbl. occ.|
For groups of 2 to 7 guests, please call for Custom Trip pricing.
Youth savings do not apply to Private Trips.