Costa Rica Family Multisport Tour
- A perfect lineup of activities makes for great family adventures throughout the country
- Spot amazing wildlife—sloths, monkeys, lizards and more—at Manuel Antonio National Park
- White-water raft on Río Savegre, one of Central America's most pristine rivers
- Sublime white-sand beaches great for swimming and surfing
- Kid-inspired fun—and possibly pick-up soccer with local niños—at an arts cooperative
Wildlife Encounters on the Pacific Coast & Nicoya Peninsula
Holy cow! Or rather, holy huge millipede! Was that a toucan? Check out those colorful beaks! Can you spot those howler monkeys you've been hearing? Swinging through the jungle, Tarzan style. Do some swinging of your own on a zip-line. Or will it be beach time? Or paddling along the Pacific coastline? Or plunging into a pristine waterfall? Or TLC at the spa? It's up to you. And you really can't go wrong. With these activities. With private charter flights connecting it all. With a week of Backroads family fun in Costa Rica.
Days 1-2 Hop on a charter flight over Costa Rica's fertile Central Valley and the Talamanca mountain range to Quepos, located on the Pacific coast Learn how to make sugar at a Costa Rican trapiche (sugar cane mill) Take in tropical forests, pristine beaches and volcanic cliffs along the stunning Pacific coastline from your sea kayak Hike through the Fila Chonta mountain range to a pristine waterfall, where you can enjoy a refreshing dip Adults hike along well-maintained jungle paths while kids mount up for an exciting horseback ride Opt to fly across the jungle canopy on a zip-line or relax back at the hotel.
Day 3 Meander through Manuel Antonio National Park with an expert who helps us spot white-faced monkeys, butterflies, sloths and iguanas A local family invites us into their home for lunch Hike through the rain forest to our secluded jungle safari hotel Kick back on your private deck or go for a plunge on the 100-foot long waterslide—look out below!
Day 4 Make a splash on a thrilling white-water rafting excursion on Río Savegre A short scenic flight whisks us to the Nicoya peninsula, where age-old traditions are still alive and well Explore some of Costa Rica's most beautiful beaches on two wheels Relax by a multitiered infinity pool offering sunset views of the Pacific Ocean.
Days 5-6 Venture into a tropical forest and perhaps catch a glimpse of colorful birds, like long-tailed manakins or trogons Play or relax at our oceanfront resort: hike, kayak, horseback ride, lounge on sublime white-sand beaches or indulge in a massage Youngsters enjoy kid-inspired fun—and possibly pick-up soccer with local niños Dig into fresh seafood at a festive farewell dinner.
Parador Resort & Spa
Manuel Antonio (2 nights) A Spanish-style resort with peaceful views of the Manuel Antonio rain forest and the azure Pacific. (pool, spa, tennis)
Rafiki Safari Lodge
Savegre (1 night) African-style luxury safari tents offer the ideal setting for enjoying the sights and sounds of the jungle. (pool)
Hotel Punta Islita
Punta Islita (2 nights) This eco-friendly resort is tucked away between an ocean cove and the forest on the pristine Nicoya Peninsula. Travel + Leisure World's Best. (pool, spa, tennis, golf)
Guest Reviews About This Trip
This was the best family vacation we have ever been on and we are experienced vacationers. I have already recommended Backroads, and this trip in specific, to friends and we only got back last night. We've gone on Backroads bike trips previously but had never taken our kids and had never done a multisport trip. We have an athletic 15-year-old and a not-very-athletic 12-year-old. Amazingly, this trip worked well for both kids. Everyone was happy.- Kentfield, CA
One of the best vacations I've ever been on. Our guides were knowledgeable, excellent teachers, and also patient with us. I appreciated their humor as well as their knowledge and insight. Aside from the wonderful leaders, great accommodations, and beautifully interesting country, another thing that made the trip so special was the chemistry of the group…it was so enjoyable to be traveling with such a friendly and interesting mix of people. It was also amazing how well the kids in the group gelled.- West Hartford, CT
My daughter and I both felt that Backroads gave us a chance to enjoy the local culture, food, people and wildlife in Costa Rica in a way that we never would have experienced on our own.
Trip Dates & Prices
Please click on a date below for specific pricing and possible itinerary variations.
2015 FAMILY DATES
- 2/16 - 2/21 ( $4098 per person, double occ., +$860 for single occ. , +$560 for internal airfare
- 3/9 - 3/14 ( $3998 per person, double occ., +$860 for single occ. , +$560 for internal airfare
- 3/16 - 3/21 ( $4098 per person, double occ., +$860 for single occ. , +$560 for internal airfare
- 3/30 - 4/4 ( $4098 per person, double occ., +$860 for single occ. , +$560 for internal airfare
- 4/13 - 4/18 ( $3698 per person, double occ., +$860 for single occ. , +$560 for internal airfare
- 7/20 - 7/25 ( $3698 per person, double occ., +$860 for single occ. , +$560 for internal airfare
- 7/27 - 8/1 ( $3998 per person, double occ., +$860 for single occ. , +$560 for internal airfare
- 8/3 - 8/8 ( $3698 per person, double occ., +$860 for single occ. , +$560 for internal airfare
- 8/10 - 8/15 ( $3698 per person, double occ., +$860 for single occ. , +$560 for internal airfare
- 12/20 - 12/25 ( $3898 per person, double occ., +$860 for single occ. , +$560 for internal airfare
- 12/22 - 12/27 ( $3898 per person, double occ., +$860 for single occ. , +$560 for internal airfare
- 12/24 - 12/29 ( $3898 per person, double occ., +$860 for single occ. , +$560 for internal airfare
- 12/26 - 12/31 ( $3898 per person, double occ., +$860 for single occ. , +$560 for internal airfare
- 12/28 - 1/2 ( $3898 per person, double occ., +$860 for single occ. , +$560 for internal airfare
- 12/30 - 1/4 ( $3898 per person, double occ., +$860 for single occ. , +$560 for internal airfare
Don't see your ideal travel date? Call us at 800-462-2848 for Private Trip date availability.
This Trip Is Rated Level 1-2
Routes For All Abilities
Every Backroads trip is designed to appeal to a wide variety of interests and fitness levels. We know your pace may vary from one day to the next-and your traveling companion's may differ somewhat from yours. So we present a range of mileage options, and each day you decide exactly what and how much you want to do.
|Daily Route Options|
|Level 1||Level 2||Level 3||Level 4||Level 5|
|miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain|
|1||Kayaking||Around Quepos (2 Hours)|
|Kids||Horseback Riding (45 Minutes)|
|Rafting||On Río Savegre (2.5 hours)|
|Other||Optional Surfing, Horseback Riding or Golf|
|Kids||Cultural Activity & Games|
|6||Other||Punta Islita Guided Walk (1 Hour)|
On this trip, we'll be using titanium mountain bikes that are just right for the non-technical dirt road riding as well as the paved riding. (approximately 45% dirt and 55% paved).
* Includes a shuttle
Private Trips Options & Pricing
Gather your favorite people to share a Backroads adventure on a ready-to-book Private Trip - featuring all the legendary Backroads hallmarks from expert leaders to unforgettable activities.
You can pick any open date for your group of 8 or more except for trips departing during the last two weeks of December, where a 16 guest minimum is required. Call us for date availability.
Pricing for Private Trips (prices may vary based on departure date)
|8 - 9 guests from $4,498 pp dbl. occ.||12 or more guests from $3,698 pp dbl. occ.|
|10 - 11 guests from $3,998 pp dbl. occ.|
For groups of 2 to 7 guests, please call for Custom Trip pricing.
Youth savings do not apply to Private Trips.