Texas Hill Country Bike Tour
- Bike the Willow City Loop amid quintessential wild west ranchland
- Feel like you've been transported to a town on the Rhine in old-world Fredericksburg
- Pedal along blissfully quiet roads past live oak and prickly pear cactus to historic Gruene
- Kick up your heels to classic honky-tonk music at a traditional dance hall
- Feast on authentic melt-in-your-mouth Texas BBQ
A Cyclist's Playground Deep in the Heart of Texas
If, as John Steinbeck put it, "Texas is a state of mind," we're happy to let our minds wander awhile in Hill Country. Cooled by gentle breezes, it's a region of lush woodsy hills and meandering rivers unique to the Lone Star State. Where legendary dance halls delight you with boot-tappin' country music. And towns like Fredericksburg welcome you with bratwurst, biergartens and, yes, even crafted-in-Texas gewürztraminers. Got Hill Country on your mind? Hope to see y'all here real soon.
Day 1 Slow down, savor the simple beauty of remote, wide-open spaces and enjoy your first taste of undulating Hill Country roads on a ride from Blanco to Comfort Cruise along blissfully quiet roadways beneath a canopy of oak trees into quaint Sisterdale (population 25) for lunch Stop at the historic Sister Creek Winery before pedaling on.
Days 2-3 You'll find heaven on the Willow City Loop, 25 breathtaking miles of country road amid some of the most unique scenery in central Texas Spin through Luckenbach - don't blink or you'll miss this pint-sized town, immortalized by Willie Nelson and Waylon Jennings Catch some live music and visit the famous Luckenbach Dancehall, a sacred institution among legions of local two-steppers Sipping a Shiner Bock at a traditional German biergarten? You must be in Fredericksburg!
Days 4-5 Pedal past live oak, prickly pear cactus and classic Texas ranchland to Gruene, home to the oldest continuously running dance hall in the state Built in 1878 and revitalized in the 1970s, Gruene Hall has been instrumental in launching the careers of such country music greats as Lyle Lovett and George Strait Enjoy a stroll in Gruene, perhaps stopping at the General Store for a jar of pecan honey butter No cycling trip in the state of Texas would be complete without a metric century ride - but that's just one of several options today, of course! Before bidding a final farewell to Hill Country, head out on a shady morning spin along the Guadalupe River.
Meyer Bed & Breakfast
Comfort (1 night) A welcoming country home set on the edge of the historic district of Comfort and bordered by treelined Cypress Creek.
Fredericksburg (2 nights) The vibrant shops and restaurants of Main Street are just steps from this beautiful property with historic cabins and private courtyards. (spa)
Gruene Mansion Inn
New Braunfels (1 night) Step back in time at this elegant mansion, once a private home and now a Texas Historic Landmark on the banks of the Guadalupe River.
Guests Reviews About This Trip
I loved this bike trip! The Texas Hill Country is not beautiful in the usual every vista is a photo op kind of way... it's better than that. The all-encompassing expansiveness of the land around me brought a peacefulness and restoration to my soul that I will never forget. I already want to go back!- Raleigh, NC
Trip Dates & Prices
Please click on a date below for specific pricing and possible itinerary variations.
2014 CLASSIC DATES
- 10/5 - 10/9 ( $2598 per person, double occ., +$520 for single occ.
- 10/19 - 10/23 ( $2498 per person, double occ., +$520 for single occ.
- 10/26 - 10/30 ( $2698 per person, double occ., +$520 for single occ.
2015 CLASSIC DATES
- 5/3 - 5/7 ( $2198 per person, double occ., +$660 for single occ.
- 5/17 - 5/21 ( $2198 per person, double occ., +$660 for single occ.
- 9/13 - 9/17 ( $2198 per person, double occ., +$660 for single occ.
- 9/20 - 9/24 ( $2198 per person, double occ., +$660 for single occ.
- 9/27 - 10/1 ( $2198 per person, double occ., +$660 for single occ.
- 10/11 - 10/15 ( $2198 per person, double occ., +$660 for single occ.
- 10/25 - 10/29 ( $2198 per person, double occ., +$660 for single occ.
2015 SINGLES-SOLOS DATES
- 10/18 - 10/22 ( $2198 per person, double occ., +$660 for single occ.
Don't see your ideal travel date? Call us at 800-462-2848 for Private Trip date availability.
This Trip Is Rated Level 2-5
Routes For All Abilities
Every Backroads trip is designed to appeal to a wide variety of interests and fitness levels. We know your pace may vary from one day to the next-and your traveling companion's may differ somewhat from yours. So we present a range of mileage options, and each day you decide exactly what and how much you want to do.
|Daily Route Options|
|Level 1||Level 2||Level 3||Level 4||Level 5|
|miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain|
* Includes a shuttle
Private Trips Options & Pricing
Pricing for Private Trips (prices may vary based on departure date)
|2 - 3 guests from $4,398 pp dbl. occ.||8 - 9 guests from $3,598 pp dbl. occ.|
|4 - 5 guests from $4,098 pp dbl. occ.||10 - 11 guests from $3,198 pp dbl. occ.|
|6 - 7 guests from $3,798 pp dbl. occ.||12 or more guests from $2,898 pp dbl. occ.|
|2 - 3 guests from $4,398 pp dbl. occ.||8 - 9 guests from $3,098 pp dbl. occ.|
|4 - 5 guests from $3,798 pp dbl. occ.||10 - 11 guests from $2,498 pp dbl. occ.|
|6 - 7 guests from $3,298 pp dbl. occ.||12 or more guests from $2,198 pp dbl. occ.|