Tuscany Bike Tour
- Ride, relax and savor every drop of this vintage Backroads experience
- Pedal our favorite Tuscan roads with ample shuttle support
- Luxuriate at handpicked hotels that represent Tuscany's finest
- Taste critically acclaimed regional wines
- Discover idyllic hilltop towns brimming with medieval and Renaissance architecture
Chianti to Montalcino, the Birthplace of Brunello
Few things in this world live up to the hype. But everything you've ever heard about Tuscany is true. It's not a destination. It's a sublime experience. Routes lined with cypress trees overlooking the patchwork vineyards below will stop you on your bike. And no view will compare to that view. Until you round the next bend and see another. It's a wonder anyone ever finishes the rides. And that's only what you'll see; imagine the wines, flavors and luxuries you'll discover.
Day 1 The quintessential Tuscan journey, offering the most scenic routes from Florence to Montalcino Sample fresh Tuscan specialties at an agriturismo before biking serene roads past olive orchards, farmhouses and wheat fields Pedal to medieval Greve in Chianti, where you can stroll through the narrow lanes and pretty piazza of this former market town before continuing to the splendid Castello del Nero Kick off the week with superb Michelin-starred cuisine inspired by Tuscan traditions and flavors.
Days 2-3 Ascend quiet roads into the heart of the Chianti region Cruise the ridge to the ancient hilltop town of Radda, long the center of Chianti wine production The hidden nooks of Via delle Volte, Castellina's unique arcaded passageway, are a delight to explore Visit Badia a Coltibuono (Abbey of the Good Harvest), where you're treated to a private tour and olive oil tasting Wine and dine in style at San Felice's renowned restaurant.
Day 4 Visit Monte Oliveto Maggiore, a Benedictine abbey featuring some of the best preserved frescoes in Europe Our route leads through the chalk hills of the Crete Senesi, often depicted in 14th- and 15th-century Florentine paintings Stroll Montalcino's medieval streets in search of the perfect trattoria for dinner.
Days 5-6 The narrow streets of Montalcino, known for harboring the region's finest wines, are yours to discover Point your wheels toward southern Tuscany, where stately cypresses crisscross open rolling hills Taste world-famous Brunello Pedal through the undulating wheat fields and hilltop towns of the Val d'Orcia In Pienza, marvel at extraordinary Renaissance architecture and sample splendid pecorino cheese Visit the imposing abbey of Sant'Antimo, where monks celebrate mass with stirring Gregorian chants.
Accommodations may vary based on departure date. Any difference from what is listed below can be found by clicking on your desired date on the Dates & Prices tab.
Castello del Nero
Tavarnelle Val di Pesa (1 night) A castle steeped in Tuscan charm and situated on a hilltop overlooking rolling vineyards and olive orchards in the Colli Fiorentini. (pool, spa)
Relais Borgo San Felice
San Felice (2 nights) Described by the Hideaway Report as an "enchanting resort enclave set within a restored medieval hamlet fringed by olive groves and vineyards in the Chianti Classico region." A Relais & Châteaux member. (pool, spa, tennis)
Castello di Velona
Castelnuovo dell'Abate (2 nights) Soak up superb hilltop views at this elegant 11th-century fortress featuring a magnificent vantage point above the Val d'Orcia. A Small Luxury Hotels of the World member. (pool, spa)
Guest Reviews About This Trip
Beyond special...the indulgence of a consistent 5-star experience in locations only experienced in the movies.- Aspen, CO
We had a spectacular trip. I made the comment to my wife after the very first day of biking that I could go home today and feel like all my expectations had been fulfilled - and that was just the first day! Thanks, Backroads, for the trip of a lifetime!- Allen, TX
We had a fabulous time - our leaders were fantastic!! We loved the fact that support was always available and that we periodically saw the other group members on the road but for much of the time it was just the two of us enjoying the scenery and the ride. We can't wait to come back and do another Backroads trip. Meals were fantastic and we totally enjoyed the flexibility to ride as much or as little as we wanted. All in all it was definitely the best vacation ever - can't wait to download my 500+ pictures - everywhere was "una bella vista."- Atlanta, GA
Trip Dates & Prices
Please click on a date below for specific pricing and possible itinerary variations.
2015 CLASSIC DATES
- 5/10 - 5/15 ( $4948 per person, double occ., +$1600 for single occ.
- 5/24 - 5/29 ( $5048 per person, double occ., +$1600 for single occ.
- 6/7 - 6/12 ( $4948 per person, double occ., +$1600 for single occ.
- 6/14 - 6/19 ( $5048 per person, double occ., +$1600 for single occ.
- 6/21 - 6/26 ( $5048 per person, double occ., +$1600 for single occ.
- 6/28 - 7/3 ( $4848 per person, double occ., +$1600 for single occ.
- 7/5 - 7/10 ( $4848 per person, double occ., +$1600 for single occ.
- 7/12 - 7/17 ( $4848 per person, double occ., +$1600 for single occ.
- 7/19 - 7/24 ( $5048 per person, double occ., +$1600 for single occ.
- 7/26 - 7/31 ( $4848 per person, double occ., +$1600 for single occ.
- 8/2 - 8/7 ( $4948 per person, double occ., +$1600 for single occ.
- 8/9 - 8/14 ( $4948 per person, double occ., +$1600 for single occ.
- 8/16 - 8/21 ( $4598 per person, double occ., +$1600 for single occ.
- 8/30 - 9/4 ( $4598 per person, double occ., +$1600 for single occ.
- 9/6 - 9/11 ( $5048 per person, double occ., +$1600 for single occ.
- 9/8 - 9/13 ( $4848 per person, double occ., +$1600 for single occ.
- 9/13 - 9/18 ( $5048 per person, double occ., +$1600 for single occ.
- 9/15 - 9/20 ( $4848 per person, double occ., +$1600 for single occ.
- 9/20 - 9/25 ( $4948 per person, double occ., +$1600 for single occ.
- 9/22 - 9/27 ( $4948 per person, double occ., +$1600 for single occ.
- 9/27 - 10/2 ( $4848 per person, double occ., +$1600 for single occ.
- 9/29 - 10/4 ( $5048 per person, double occ., +$1600 for single occ.
Don't see your ideal travel date? Call us at 800-462-2848 for Private Trip date availability.
This Trip Is Rated Level 2-5
Routes For All Abilities
Every Backroads trip is designed to appeal to a wide variety of interests and fitness levels. We know your pace may vary from one day to the next-and your traveling companion's may differ somewhat from yours. So we present a range of mileage options, and each day you decide exactly what and how much you want to do.
|Daily Route Options|
|Level 1||Level 2||Level 3||Level 4||Level 5|
|miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain|
* Includes a shuttle
Private Trips Options & Pricing
Gather your favorite people to share a Backroads adventure on a ready-to-book Private Trip - featuring all the legendary Backroads hallmarks from expert leaders to unforgettable activities.
You can pick from a large selection of dates for your group of 8 or more. Call us for date availability.
If your party has fewer than 8 guests, or if your preferred date is not available, we'll create a departure just for you.
Pricing for Private Trips (prices may vary based on departure date)
|2 - 3 guests from $6,998 pp dbl. occ.||8 - 9 guests from $5,498 pp dbl. occ.|
|4 - 5 guests from $6,198 pp dbl. occ.||10 - 11 guests from $4,898 pp dbl. occ.|
|6 - 7 guests from $5,698 pp dbl. occ.||12 or more guests from $4,598 pp dbl. occ.|
All Private Singles-Solos trips require a minimum of 16 guests.