Slovenia & Italy Bike Tour
- Bike tranquil lanes with light traffic and unparalleled scenery
- Challenge yourself on two alpine passes, comparable to the great climbs of the French Alps
- Sip superlative white wines from the Collio region of Friuli, one of Italy's best kept secrets
- Ready for an unforgettable dinner at Michelin-starred La Subida?
- Fall in love with Slovenia's most romantic alpine destination, Lake Bled
The Julian Alps & Friuli's Collio Wine Region
This week will be officially referred to as "The Ride." Start the day overlooking Italian vineyards and by afternoon gaze at the majestic beauty of the Julian Alps. Welcome the challenge of two completely empty alpine passes (save for your fellow biking companions). Fight that inner conflict between taking in the view and taking on the next corner. Remember how to say "Good Morning" in Slovenian. Toast in the stunning town of Bled. And, yes, tasting the local pinot grigio and tocai will be incredible. But it's still about the ride.
Day 1 Bike tranquil lanes with light traffic and unparalleled scenery Visit Aquileia, a World Heritage site with exquisitely restored Roman ruins Worked up an appetite? Feast on delicious polenta, prosciutto San Daniele, and other Friulian specialties at Michelin-starred La Subida.
Day 2 Superlative white wines from the Collio region of Friuli, one of Italy's best-kept secrets, where low hills lie blanketed in chestnut forests, cherry orchards and tidy vineyards On rolling hills, venture into neighboring Slovenia and the Goriška Brda wine region for incredible riding and your first taste of Eastern European culture Enjoy hearty alpine cuisine at an agriturismo, where we're treated like family.
Days 3-4 Challenge yourself on two mountain passes reminiscent of classic climbs in that famous French bike race After a thrilling descent, enter Soča River Valley for a spin to the sleepy village of Bovec ("beautiful valley") Take in the turquoise Soča River and remarkable limestone peaks of Triglav National Park.
Days 5-6 Explore Slovenia's most breathtaking alpine destination,Lake Bled, whose island harbors a magnificent 17th-century church - you'll arrive by pletna (traditional wooden boat) Find villages steeped in tradition en route to gorgeous high-altitude Lake Bohinj The glamorous resort town of Bled, beloved for its thermal spas, inspires rejuvenation Journey to Ljubljana, with its unique Austrian flavor and vibrant cultural scene.
Castello di Spessa
Capriva del Friuli, Italy (2 nights) Set in graceful gardens and tranquil parkland among rolling hills, this elegant castle traces its roots back to the Roman Empire and once hosted Casanova. (golf)
Bovec, Slovenia (1 night) Enjoy unmatched views of the soaring peaks that surround this comfortable alpine retreat. (spa)
Hotel Vila Bled
Bled, Slovenia (2 nights) Once Tito's summer villa, this hotel enjoys a spectacular location on the shore of Lake Bled and offers a private lido with row boats. (spa)
Guests Reviews About This Trip
This was an incredible trip. The biking was challenging but so rewarding. There is nothing more inspiring than working your way through a steep climb only to be rewarded with the most stunningly beautiful views of snowcapped mountains, waterfalls and crystal clear rivers. Our guides were wonderful - so full of local knowledge, completely accommodating and simply a pleasure to be around. They anticipated our every need and want, surprising us with little touches throughout each day. I hope we are lucky enough to have them again as guides!- Harrison, NY
Unique and wonderful sites, challenging biking, superb leaders! Another SUPERB Backroads trip! Having taken more than 25 trips with Backroads, we continue to marvel at the quality of your leaders, itineraries, cultural experiences, and accommodations. We plan to take many more trips with you!- Minneapolis, MN
Once again, Backroads provided what I've come to expect - top-rated guides leading us through beautiful scenery, providing historical background and context, and delivering us to fine hotels and dining.- Brookline, MA
Trip Dates & Prices
Please click on a date below for specific pricing and possible itinerary variations.
2014 CLASSIC DATES
- 8/10 - 8/15 ( $4098 per person, double occ., +$720 for single occ.
- 8/24 - 8/29 ( $4098 per person, double occ., +$720 for single occ.
- 9/7 - 9/12 ( $4098 per person, double occ., +$720 for single occ.
- 9/14 - 9/19 ( $4098 per person, double occ., +$720 for single occ.
- 9/21 - 9/26 ( $4098 per person, double occ., +$720 for single occ.
2015 SINGLES-SOLOS DATES
- 9/27 - 10/2 ( $3798 per person, double occ., +$620 for single occ.
2015 CLASSIC DATES
- 5/17 - 5/22 ( $3798 per person, double occ., +$720 for single occ.
- 6/14 - 6/19 ( $3798 per person, double occ., +$720 for single occ.
- 6/21 - 6/26 ( $3798 per person, double occ., +$720 for single occ.
- 7/5 - 7/10 ( $3798 per person, double occ., +$720 for single occ.
- 7/12 - 7/17 ( $3798 per person, double occ., +$720 for single occ.
- 7/26 - 7/31 ( $3798 per person, double occ., +$720 for single occ.
- 8/9 - 8/14 ( $3798 per person, double occ., +$720 for single occ.
- 8/23 - 8/28 ( $3798 per person, double occ., +$720 for single occ.
- 8/30 - 9/4 ( $3798 per person, double occ., +$720 for single occ.
Don't see your ideal travel date? Call us at 800-462-2848 for Private Trip date availability.
This Trip Is Rated Level 2-5
Routes For All Abilities
Every Backroads trip is designed to appeal to a wide variety of interests and fitness levels. We know your pace may vary from one day to the next-and your traveling companion's may differ somewhat from yours. So we present a range of mileage options, and each day you decide exactly what and how much you want to do.
|Daily Route Options|
|Level 1||Level 2||Level 3||Level 4||Level 5|
|miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain|
|Aquileia Guided Walk (1 Hour)|
|Castle Walk (2 Hours)|
* Includes a shuttle
Private Trips Options & Pricing
Gather your favorite people to share a Backroads adventure on a ready-to-book Private Trip - featuring all the legendary Backroads hallmarks from expert leaders to unforgettable activities.
You can pick from a large selection of dates for your group of 8 or more. Call us for date availability.
If your party has fewer than 8 guests, or if your preferred date is not available, we'll create a departure just for you.
Pricing for Private Trips (prices may vary based on departure date)
|2 - 3 guests from $5,598 pp dbl. occ.||8 - 9 guests from $4,398 pp dbl. occ.|
|4 - 5 guests from $4,998 pp dbl. occ.||10 - 11 guests from $3,998 pp dbl. occ.|
|6 - 7 guests from $4,598 pp dbl. occ.||12 or more guests from $3,698 pp dbl. occ.|
|2 - 3 guests from $5,898 pp dbl. occ.||8 - 9 guests from $4,598 pp dbl. occ.|
|4 - 5 guests from $5,298 pp dbl. occ.||10 - 11 guests from $4,098 pp dbl. occ.|
|6 - 7 guests from $4,898 pp dbl. occ.||12 or more guests from $3,798 pp dbl. occ.|