Pyrenees to Costa Brava Bike Tour
- Get started in vibrant Barcelona, likely to ignite your love affair with Catalonia
- Ride scenic routes into the French Pyrenees, where pros train for the Tour de France
- An epic climb and descent over La Collada de Toses, one of the highest paved roads in the Pyrenees
- Highly acclaimed Catalan fusion cuisine and fresh seafood
- Spin through the stunning Costa Brava, where the Mediterranean laps against miles of white-sand beaches
From Barcelona to the Pyrenees & Costa Brava
Everything about Catalonia is unique. Part of Spain, but an independent nation, it flies its own flag and speaks its own language. It dances the sardana, drinks wine from a porró and has produced some of the world's most acclaimed artists and architects. And its sights? They're distinctive too, from the rugged Pyrenees to the spectacular Costa Brava and the pulsing stylish city of Barcelona. Just wait until you get a whiff - the sea air, a steaming bowl of fideuà, a forest of pines. You know instantly that this place is different. Special. Memorable. Just like each day of your Catalan vacation.
Day 1 Get things started in vibrant Barcelona, likely to ignite your love affair with Catalonia After reaching the Pyrenees, bike past alpine villages, herds of cows and farmers tending their crops Sample cava, Spain's beloved version of bubbly.
Day 2 Ride scenic routes into the French Pyrenees, where pros train for the Tour de France - the incredible views make your efforts worthwhile Spend a full day in France, stopping in the fortified mountain town of Mont-Louis, a World Heritage site.
Day 3 An epic climb up La Collada de Toses, which at 5,907 feet is one of the highest paved roads in the Pyrenees Relish a long winding descent into a sunkissed valley Quiet pastoral lanes and riverside bike paths lead to the picturesque village of Llanars Tempted by tapas? Enjoy some of the best.
Day 4 Acclaimed Catalan fusion cuisine and fresh seafood Bike alongside deep valleys and rugged rock walls in La Garrotxa, a remote volcanic area rarely visited by tourists Ready for a break? Stroll through medieval towns where red-tile roofs and wooden balconies adorn stone homes Pine and chestnut trees give way to oaks and olive groves en route to the coast.
Days 5-6 Spin through the stunning Costa Brava, where the Mediterranean laps against white-sand beaches and villages cling to forested hills above hidden bays Pedal past fields of sunflowers and wheat to the Baix Empordà, the "region of coves," stopping to explore hamlets with cobbled town squares, Baroque-style churches and ancient fortresses Fruit orchards, olive groves and rice paddies line a peaceful ride through the countryside.
Accommodations may vary based on departure date. Any difference from what is listed below can be found by clicking on your desired date on the Dates & Prices tab.
Bernat do So
Llívia (2 nights) Set amid an expansive garden, this beautifully converted historic farmhouse blends traditional Catalan design and contemporary style. (pool)
Llanars (1 night) The design and warmth of an alpine chalet in the beautiful Camprodon Valley. (pool, spa)
Girona (2 nights) It's said that "even Salvador Dalí tried to buy this architectural gem," a medieval castle-turned-luxurious boutique hotel. (pool)
Guest Reviews About This Trip
This was a fabulous trip. The group really jelled especially since it was a "solo" trip. Challenging climbs but well supported with van "boosts." The leaders accommodated everyone whether you chose to ride as much as you wanted or elect to get a boost over the most challenging grades and enjoy the long, empty, windy descents. The riding was phenomenal... Truly such thought and care in the routes. We experienced the unseen and authentic Catalunya on legitimate back roads with few cars, few people and a few cows!- Mill Valley, CA
Cycling in the Pyrenees on your trip was far beyond my expectations. I am a strong, avid cyclist, always looking for a challenging trip/ride. Usually commercial companies aim their trips to the general public of mid-ability cyclist. I was not expecting long mountain pass challenges (Day 3), nor long hilly days (Day 4) - "kicked our butts"!!!! I LOVED the surprise of those days!!!! And still there were shuttle options for those not partaking in the challenge.- Cedarburg, WI
This was an excellent experience and I want to acknowledge our trip leaders for their outstanding service. It is an incredible itinerary - well thought-out, well supported by leaders with expansive local knowledge, rich and challenging for the experienced cyclist. It is clear why so many return year after year to vacation with Backroads.- Richmond Hill, ON
Trip Dates & Prices
Please click on a date below for specific pricing and possible itinerary variations.
2015 SINGLES-SOLOS DATES
- 6/28 - 7/3 ( $3498 per person, double occ., +$610 for single occ.
- 8/2 - 8/7 ( $3498 per person, double occ., +$610 for single occ.
- 9/15 - 9/20 ( $3498 per person, double occ., +$610 for single occ.
- 9/29 - 10/4 ( $3498 per person, double occ., +$610 for single occ.
2015 CLASSIC DATES
- 5/24 - 5/29 ( $3698 per person, double occ., +$710 for single occ.
- 5/31 - 6/5 ( $3498 per person, double occ., +$710 for single occ.
- 6/7 - 6/12 ( $3498 per person, double occ., +$710 for single occ.
- 6/21 - 6/26 ( $3498 per person, double occ., +$710 for single occ.
- 7/5 - 7/10 ( $3498 per person, double occ., +$710 for single occ.
- 7/12 - 7/17 ( $3498 per person, double occ., +$710 for single occ.
- 7/19 - 7/24 ( $3698 per person, double occ., +$710 for single occ.
- 7/26 - 7/31 ( $3498 per person, double occ., +$710 for single occ.
- 8/9 - 8/14 ( $3498 per person, double occ., +$710 for single occ.
- 8/23 - 8/28 ( $3498 per person, double occ., +$710 for single occ.
- 8/30 - 9/4 ( $3498 per person, double occ., +$710 for single occ.
- 9/6 - 9/11 ( $3498 per person, double occ., +$710 for single occ.
- 9/13 - 9/18 ( $3498 per person, double occ., +$710 for single occ.
- 9/20 - 9/25 ( $3498 per person, double occ., +$710 for single occ.
- 9/27 - 10/2 ( $3798 per person, double occ., +$710 for single occ.
- 10/4 - 10/9 ( $3498 per person, double occ., +$710 for single occ.
Don't see your ideal travel date? Call us at 800-462-2848 for Private Trip date availability.
This Trip Is Rated Level 2-5
Routes For All Abilities
Every Backroads trip is designed to appeal to a wide variety of interests and fitness levels. We know your pace may vary from one day to the next-and your traveling companion's may differ somewhat from yours. So we present a range of mileage options, and each day you decide exactly what and how much you want to do.
|Daily Route Options|
|Level 1||Level 2||Level 3||Level 4||Level 5|
|miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain|
|Guided Tour of Santa Maria Cathedral (45 Minutes)|
* Includes a shuttle
Private Trips Options & Pricing
Gather your favorite people to share a Backroads adventure on a ready-to-book Private Trip - featuring all the legendary Backroads hallmarks from expert leaders to unforgettable activities.
You can pick from a large selection of dates for your group of 8 or more. Call us for date availability.
If your party has fewer than 8 guests, or if your preferred date is not available, we'll create a departure just for you.
Pricing for Private Trips (prices may vary based on departure date)
|2 - 3 guests from $5,298 pp dbl. occ.||8 - 9 guests from $4,198 pp dbl. occ.|
|4 - 5 guests from $4,698 pp dbl. occ.||10 - 11 guests from $3,798 pp dbl. occ.|
|6 - 7 guests from $4,398 pp dbl. occ.||12 or more guests from $3,498 pp dbl. occ.|
All Private Singles-Solos trips require a minimum of 16 guests.