Pyrenees to Costa Brava Bike Tour
- Kick off the journey in vibrant Barcelona
- Ride scenic routes in both the Spanish and French Pyrenees
- Highly acclaimed Catalan fusion cuisine and fresh seafood
- Costa Brava bike paths, where the Mediterranean laps against miles of white-sand beaches
- Admire the artistic genius of Salvador Dalí
From Barcelona to Catalonia's Peaks & Mediterranean Beaches
Barcelona lures you with its irrepressible éclat. But it’s just the start of an unforgettable trip through the heart of Catalonia. Soon you’re swept into the Pyrenees. Straddling the French border and riding roads the pro cyclists use to train for that famous French race. Descend and the air warms, the sun strengthens and the aroma of the coast fills the air. You’ll wind up on the Costa Brava, with glorious sea views and a landscape that inspired surrealist Salvador Dalí - a fitting end to this journey through one of Europe’s most enticing regions.
Day 1 Kick things off in Barcelona, Catalonia's effervescent capital Gaze in awe at the limestone massif of Cadí-Moixeró Nature Reserve, standing above the idyllic Cerdanya Valley Find your rhythm as you spin past mountain villages, herds of sheep and farmers plying their trade Sample cava, Spain's beloved version of bubbly Relax at our exquisite Relais & Châteaux hotel.
Days 2-3 Scenic routes in the Pyrenees foothills lead into France Begin your ride in Llívia, a Spanish enclave surrounded by French territory and situated along the famous Camino de Santiago pilgrimage route A challenging climb up Coll de la Creueta is rewarded with incredible views Experience Salvador Dalí's mind-bending work at the Dalí Museum in Figueres Even the building itself is a work of art, considered "the largest surrealistic object in the world."
Day 4 Fields of wheat and sunflowers blanket the countryside as you pedal to the beautiful Baix Empordà, perhaps stopping to explore hamlets with cobbled squares and Baroque-style churches Penchant for pottery? You'll be in heaven in La Bisbal, famous for its ceramics Stroll around fortified Pals, a medieval gem whose stone buildings now accommodate enticing art galleries - and enraptured visitors.
Days 5-6 Bike along the Costa Brava to the "region of coves," where the Mediterranean laps against white-sand beaches and villages cling to forested hills above hidden bays The Gavarres Nature Reserve offers up another heart-pumping climb Indulge in a siesta on a white-sand beach or cool off in the crystalline Mediterranean.
Accommodations may vary based on departure date. Any difference from what is listed below can be found by clicking on your desired date on the Dates & Prices tab.
Torre del Remei
Bolvir de Cerdanya (2 nights) Set amid acres of lush manicured gardens, this modernist château from the early 1900s was designed by a disciple of Antoni Gaudí. A Relais & Châteaux member. (pool)
Figueres (1 night) Owners Brigitta and Severino warmly welcome us into their renovated 15th-century stone farmhouse, tucked into the countryside between the Pyrenees and Costa Brava. (pool)
Mas de Torrent Hotel & Spa
Torrent (2 nights) A beautifully restored 18th-century manor house with stylish rooms and historic country charm. A Relais & Châteaux member. (pool, spa, tennis)
Guest Reviews About This Trip
The itinerary you planned for this trip was an unforgettable combination of everything the region had to offer - from the coastal ride, to the hills and valleys, from small villages to interesting ancient towns. I was completely delighted.- Minneapolis, MN
I've only been on five Backroads trips, but this one has hit the top of my list as my most favorite!!! You have once again exceeded my expectations for a vacation!! The whole package is terrific. But the key, in my view, are the leaders. How do you SO consistently have the best people on the planet there to ensure the best vacations on the planet? I will enthusiastically recommend this Costa Brava trip to anyone who will listen. From mountains to sea, with gorgeous landscapes and villages between, not to mention starting in the beautiful and fascinating city of Barcelona. WOW!! Backroads, you've done it again.- Steamboat Springs, CO
I couldn't imagine any aspect of the trip that could have been improved. The itinerary was very carefully and thoughtfully tweaked from the advertised itinerary so that we had the best possible opportunities to enjoy the countryside and the culture and have an active vacation that balanced fun, local culture, delicious food and very successfully. The organization that went into planning and executing the trip was apparent only because the adventure experience seemed almost effortless to the participants. Quite an accomplishment! I came away with a great sense of enthusiasm for this fascinating and beautiful region of Spain and France and would recommend the experience to anyone who is interested in this type of traveling.- Toronto, ON
Trip Dates & Prices
Please click on a date below for specific pricing and possible itinerary variations.
2015 CLASSIC DATES
- 5/10 - 5/15 ( $4398 per person, double occ., +$1170 for single occ.
- 5/17 - 5/22 ( $4598 per person, double occ., +$1170 for single occ.
- 5/24 - 5/29 ( $4598 per person, double occ., +$1170 for single occ.
- 5/31 - 6/5 ( $4698 per person, double occ., +$1170 for single occ.
- 6/2 - 6/7 ( $4598 per person, double occ., +$1170 for single occ.
- 6/14 - 6/19 ( $4798 per person, double occ., +$1170 for single occ.
- 6/21 - 6/26 ( $4598 per person, double occ., +$1170 for single occ.
- 6/28 - 7/3 ( $4798 per person, double occ., +$1170 for single occ.
- 7/5 - 7/10 ( $4798 per person, double occ., +$1170 for single occ.
- 7/12 - 7/17 ( $4398 per person, double occ., +$1170 for single occ.
- 7/19 - 7/24 ( $4398 per person, double occ., +$1170 for single occ.
- 8/2 - 8/7 ( $4398 per person, double occ., +$1170 for single occ.
- 8/9 - 8/14 ( $4398 per person, double occ., +$1170 for single occ.
- 8/16 - 8/21 ( $4598 per person, double occ., +$1170 for single occ.
- 8/23 - 8/28 ( $4598 per person, double occ., +$1170 for single occ.
- 8/30 - 9/4 ( $4398 per person, double occ., +$1170 for single occ.
- 9/6 - 9/11 ( $4398 per person, double occ., +$1170 for single occ.
- 9/13 - 9/18 ( $4798 per person, double occ., +$1170 for single occ.
- 9/15 - 9/20 ( $4398 per person, double occ., +$1170 for single occ.
- 9/20 - 9/25 ( $4398 per person, double occ., +$1170 for single occ.
- 9/22 - 9/27 ( $4398 per person, double occ., +$1170 for single occ.
- 9/29 - 10/4 ( $4398 per person, double occ., +$1170 for single occ.
Don't see your ideal travel date? Call us at 800-462-2848 for Private Trip date availability.
This Trip Is Rated Level 2-4
Routes For All Abilities
Every Backroads trip is designed to appeal to a wide variety of interests and fitness levels. We know your pace may vary from one day to the next-and your traveling companion's may differ somewhat from yours. So we present a range of mileage options, and each day you decide exactly what and how much you want to do.
|Daily Route Options|
|Level 1||Level 2||Level 3||Level 4||Level 5|
|miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain|
|Dalí Museum Tour (1.5 Hours)|
* Includes a shuttle
Private Trips Options & Pricing
Gather your favorite people to share a Backroads adventure on a ready-to-book Private Trip - featuring all the legendary Backroads hallmarks from expert leaders to unforgettable activities.
You can pick from a large selection of dates for your group of 8 or more. Call us for date availability.
If your party has fewer than 8 guests, or if your preferred date is not available, we'll create a departure just for you.
Pricing for Private Trips (prices may vary based on departure date)
|2 - 3 guests from $6,498 pp dbl. occ.||8 - 9 guests from $5,198 pp dbl. occ.|
|4 - 5 guests from $5,898 pp dbl. occ.||10 - 11 guests from $4,698 pp dbl. occ.|
|6 - 7 guests from $5,498 pp dbl. occ.||12 or more guests from $4,398 pp dbl. occ.|
All Private Singles-Solos trips require a minimum of 16 guests.