Provence Bike Tour
- Incredible biking through perched villages, vineyards and orchards
- Discover the vibrant artist community of St-Rémy
- Classic Provençal specialties: goat cheese, olives, lavender sachets and herbes de Provence
- A tour and tasting at an olive oil mill
- Soak up Provençal life in renowned Gordes and ochre-hued Roussillon
From the Windswept Alpilles to Perched Luberon Villages
It's a slower pace of life here in southern France. Amid the Alpilles, where olive trees glisten silver in the breeze. Where limestone hills press wavelike against the ultra-blue sky. And sun-drenched villages tempt you to linger, relax over a pastis or a local rosé. In the Luberon, it's a celebration of color, be it poppies and wildflowers in spring, lavender in summer or changing grape leaves in fall. Pedal quiet roads to medieval hilltop towns. Soak up views of vineyards, orchards and windswept countryside. And rejoice in the Provençal cornucopia: fresh goat cheese, honey, olives, tapenade, sun-dried tomatoes and heavenly pastries. Find bliss in Provence, with Backroads, on a bicycle.
Day 1 Incredible biking through perched villages, vineyards, olive groves and orchards Warm up your cycling muscles and get to know the Alpilles, a world of windswept crags dotted with oak, pine and cypress trees Explore Les Baux, perched high above a limestone landscape dotted with caves and said to be frequented by witches and goblins.
Day 2 Discover the vibrant artist community of St-Rémy, filled with fountains, gardens, cheery cafés and treelined boulevards Join a historian on a visit to the asylum where Vincent van Gogh spent his last days Drop in at a delightful olive oil mill, for a tour and tasting.
Day 3 Before bidding adieu to the dramatic scenery of the Alpilles, bike to Eygalières, a small terraced town guarded by an ancient castle Spin to the picturesque walled village of Ménerbes nestled in the Luberon mountains Ride along the Route de Jean Moulin, a scenic road bordered by pine trees, vineyards and typical Provençal landscapes.
Day 4 Marvel at the beauty of Gordes, a striking village perché clinging to the craggy southern face of the high Vaucluse Plateau Quiet roads lead through rolling fields of lavender and wheat into the foothills of Mont Ventoux, the "Giant of Provence" Rub shoulders with the locals in quintessential Provençal villages such as Venasque, listed among Les Plus Beaux Villages de France (France's Most Beautiful Villages) How many shades of ochre can be found in Roussillon? Try 16 - no wonder artists adore this place!
Days 5-6 Savor farm-fresh cuisine and noteworthy regional wines Ride the stunning Gorges de la Nesque below spectacular Mont Ventoux on your way to Sault Meander through winding cobblestone streets for a taste of medieval Provence Surrounded by venerable Côtes du Ventoux vineyards, relish a final spin through the idyllic hamlets of the Vaucluse.
Auberge de la Benvengudo
Les Baux (2 nights) Situated at the base of Les Baux and surrounded by a tranquil garden, this hotel was once a typical Provence family home. (pool, tennis)
Le Roy Soleil
Ménerbes (1 night) You are sure to feel connected to nature at this lovely hotel nestled in the Luberon mountain range. (pool)
Château de Mazan
Mazan (2 nights) This elegant 18th-century château, former residence of the Marquis de Sade, rests at the foot of towering Mount Ventoux. (pool)
Guest Reviews About This Trip
This trip far exceeded my expectations. I really got to experience the best of Provence: its cultural and historical heritage, the food, and the sites and smells (gardenia, roses, lavender, and honeysuckle). What a fantastic treat for the senses and for the mind.- Hoboken, NJ
I can't think of a more exciting way to be introduced to France! Everything from the ride routes to the food was superb, well planned, and of the highest quality. I had a wonderful experience, and would recommend Backroads to anyone without hesitation.- Ketchum, ID
Once again Backroads has done an outstanding job of providing the ultimate in both service and fun! The Provence area was incredible to see and our leaders were so knowledgeable about everything in the area, I was amazed. The accommodations were beyond my expectations as well as the food. The bikes were incredible. I won't be able to get back on mine at home!- Columbus, OH
Trip Dates & Prices
Please click on a date below for specific pricing and possible itinerary variations.
2015 SINGLES-SOLOS DATES
- 5/19 - 5/24 ( $3898 per person, double occ., +$740 for single occ.
- 6/16 - 6/21 ( $3598 per person, double occ., +$740 for single occ.
- 8/4 - 8/9 ( $3598 per person, double occ., +$740 for single occ.
- 9/22 - 9/27 ( $3798 per person, double occ., +$740 for single occ.
2015 CLASSIC DATES
- 5/3 - 5/8 ( $3798 per person, double occ., +$840 for single occ.
- 5/10 - 5/15 ( $3898 per person, double occ., +$840 for single occ.
- 5/17 - 5/22 ( $3798 per person, double occ., +$840 for single occ.
- 6/7 - 6/12 ( $3998 per person, double occ., +$840 for single occ.
- 6/21 - 6/26 ( $3998 per person, double occ., +$840 for single occ.
- 6/28 - 7/3 ( $3598 per person, double occ., +$840 for single occ.
- 7/5 - 7/10 ( $3998 per person, double occ., +$840 for single occ.
- 7/12 - 7/17 ( $3898 per person, double occ., +$840 for single occ.
- 7/19 - 7/24 ( $3898 per person, double occ., +$840 for single occ.
- 7/26 - 7/31 ( $3598 per person, double occ., +$840 for single occ.
- 8/2 - 8/7 ( $3598 per person, double occ., +$840 for single occ.
- 8/16 - 8/21 ( $3598 per person, double occ., +$840 for single occ.
- 8/30 - 9/4 ( $3598 per person, double occ., +$840 for single occ.
- 9/6 - 9/11 ( $3898 per person, double occ., +$840 for single occ.
- 9/13 - 9/18 ( $3798 per person, double occ., +$840 for single occ.
- 9/15 - 9/20 ( $3598 per person, double occ., +$840 for single occ.
- 9/20 - 9/25 ( $3898 per person, double occ., +$840 for single occ.
- 9/27 - 10/2 ( $3598 per person, double occ., +$840 for single occ.
- 10/4 - 10/9 ( $3798 per person, double occ., +$840 for single occ.
Don't see your ideal travel date? Call us at 800-462-2848 for Private Trip date availability.
This Trip Is Rated Level 2-5
Routes For All Abilities
Every Backroads trip is designed to appeal to a wide variety of interests and fitness levels. We know your pace may vary from one day to the next-and your traveling companion's may differ somewhat from yours. So we present a range of mileage options, and each day you decide exactly what and how much you want to do.
|Daily Route Options|
|Level 1||Level 2||Level 3||Level 4||Level 5|
|miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain|
* Includes a shuttle
Private Trips Options & Pricing
Gather your favorite people to share a Backroads adventure on a ready-to-book Private Trip - featuring all the legendary Backroads hallmarks from expert leaders to unforgettable activities.
You can pick from a large selection of dates for your group of 8 or more. Call us for date availability.
If your party has fewer than 8 guests, or if your preferred date is not available, we'll create a departure just for you.
Pricing for Private Trips (prices may vary based on departure date)
|2 - 3 guests from $5,698 pp dbl. occ.||8 - 9 guests from $4,398 pp dbl. occ.|
|4 - 5 guests from $5,098 pp dbl. occ.||10 - 11 guests from $3,898 pp dbl. occ.|
|6 - 7 guests from $4,698 pp dbl. occ.||12 or more guests from $3,598 pp dbl. occ.|
All Private Singles-Solos trips require a minimum of 16 guests.