Provence Bike Tour
- Ride the most scenic biking routes through limestone hills, vineyards and perched villages
- Partake in private tastings of the best local wine, including delicate Côtes du Luberon
- Get to know the locals in quintessential Provençal towns
- Enjoy the exquisite flavors of a starry night - Michelin stars, that is
- Classic Provençal specialties: goat cheese, olives, lavender sachets and herbes de Provence
From St-Remy to the Luberon & Haute-Provence
Silvery green olive groves. Red-tile roofs pressed against a deep blue sky. Dramatically starry nights. And copious gastronomic delights. If there is a heaven on earth, the angels are surely sipping pastis and playing pétanque—because the earthy seduction of Provence is simply irresistible. You, too, may find yourself falling hopelessly in love with the region’s uniquely luminous landscapes, its intoxicating scents and its delectable flavors. So clip in, find your rhythm and embrace the Provençal art de vivre.
Days 1-2 Les Alpilles, a world of windswept crags carpeted with oak, pine and cypress trees Explore the ancient village of Les Baux, perched above the Val d’Enfer (Valley of Hell), an eerie limestone landscape dotted with caves Quintessential Provence is yours to soak up in St-Rémy, a tranquil artists’ haven brimming with cheery cafés and treelined boulevards Two-wheel it to Eygalières, a terraced town guarded by an ancient castle Spin to the walled village of Ménerbes, nestled in the romantic Luberon, a region beloved by writers and artists In Bonnieux, it's just 86 steps to the top of the town's church tower, where spectacular views stretch forever Vincent van Gogh painted the starry nights of Provence—you'll enjoy stars of the Michelin-variety at our hotel's acclaimed restaurant.
Days 3-4 Rub shoulders with the locals among the cobblestone streets of classic villages perchés Feel free to linger in Gordes, where labyrinthine lanes lead to shady squares and cafés, and a massive 12th-century castle keeps watch over the neighboring hilltop towns Bike onward—and well off the beaten path—to the rugged reaches of eastern Provence.
Days 5-6 Lose yourself amid lavender fields, vineyards and orchards while pedaling to your heart's content in the serene countryside Ever tried goat cheese wrapped in chestnut leaves? Today's your chance in the town of Banon Explore the hilltop town of Simiane la Rotonde and the remains of a 12th-century fortified rotunda Indulging in a treatment at our hotel's heavenly L'Occitane spa is the ultimate way to add a flourish to the day Head out on a final spin through the sun-drenched countryside.
Vallon de Valrugues
St-Rémy-de-Provence (1 night) With the Alpilles providing a breathtaking backdrop, relax in luxury at this sophisticated country hotel offering a superb restaurant. A Small Luxury Hotels of the World member. (pool, spa)
La Bastide de Capelongue
Bonnieux (2 nights) Enjoy splendid hilltop views of the Luberon and a restaurant with two Michelin stars at this beautifully renovated Provençal farmhouse. (pool)
Le Couvent des Minimes
Mane-de-Provence (2 nights) Surrounded by fragrant gardens, this early 17th-century convent was transformed by the legendary cosmetic and fragrance brand L'Occitane into a superb hotel. A Relais & Châteaux member. (pool, spa, tennis)
Guest Reviews About This Trip
Paul Cézanne called the breeze here in Provence "deliciously sweet." And indeed, you'll be greeted by the fragrances of honey, thyme and lavender, along with vistas of chalky limestone cliffs that contrast brilliantly with azure skies. This trip takes in renowned vineyards, landscapes that inspired the great Impressionist painters, and intriguing villages called home by modern-day artists. Evenings are spent in Relais & Châteaux elegance with Michelin-starred dining at hotels such as La Cabro d'Or, one of our longtime favorites.- Regional Manager, Europe
Trip Dates & Prices
Please click on a date below for specific pricing and possible itinerary variations.
2015 CLASSIC DATES
- 7/19 - 7/24 ( $5048 per person, double occ., +$1240 for single occ.
- 8/2 - 8/7 ( $5048 per person, double occ., +$1240 for single occ.
- 9/6 - 9/11 ( $5048 per person, double occ., +$1240 for single occ.
- 9/8 - 9/13 ( $4598 per person, double occ., +$1240 for single occ.
- 9/13 - 9/18 ( $4948 per person, double occ., +$1240 for single occ.
- 9/15 - 9/20 ( $5048 per person, double occ., +$1240 for single occ.
- 9/27 - 10/2 ( $4848 per person, double occ., +$1240 for single occ.
2016 CLASSIC DATES
- 5/1 - 5/6 ( $4498 per person, double occ., +$1400 for single occ.
- 5/8 - 5/13 ( $4498 per person, double occ., +$1400 for single occ.
- 7/10 - 7/15 ( $4498 per person, double occ., +$1400 for single occ.
- 7/17 - 7/22 ( $4498 per person, double occ., +$1400 for single occ.
- 7/24 - 7/29 ( $4498 per person, double occ., +$1400 for single occ.
- 7/31 - 8/5 ( $4498 per person, double occ., +$1400 for single occ.
- 8/7 - 8/12 ( $4498 per person, double occ., +$1400 for single occ.
Don't see your ideal travel date? Call us at 800-462-2848 for Private Trip date availability.
This Trip Is Rated Level 2-5
Routes For All Abilities
Every Backroads trip is designed to appeal to a wide variety of interests and fitness levels. We know your pace may vary from one day to the next-and your traveling companion's may differ somewhat from yours. So we present a range of mileage options, and each day you decide exactly what and how much you want to do.
|Daily Route Options|
|Level 1||Level 2||Level 3||Level 4||Level 5|
|miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain|
|Guided Tour of Bonnieux (1 Hour)|
* Includes a shuttle
Private Trips Options & Pricing
Gather your favorite people to share a Backroads adventure on a ready-to-book Private Trip - featuring all the legendary Backroads hallmarks from expert leaders to unforgettable activities.
You can pick from a large selection of dates for your group of 8 or more. Call us for date availability.
If your party has fewer than 8 guests, or if your preferred date is not available, we'll create a departure just for you.
Pricing for Private Trips (prices may vary based on departure date)
|2 - 3 guests from $6,898 pp dbl. occ.||8 - 9 guests from $5,498 pp dbl. occ.|
|4 - 5 guests from $6,298 pp dbl. occ.||10 - 11 guests from $4,898 pp dbl. occ.|
|6 - 7 guests from $5,798 pp dbl. occ.||12 or more guests from $4,598 pp dbl. occ.|
|2 - 3 guests from $7,098 pp dbl. occ.||8 - 9 guests from $5,398 pp dbl. occ.|
|4 - 5 guests from $6,098 pp dbl. occ.||10 - 11 guests from $4,798 pp dbl. occ.|
|6 - 7 guests from $5,598 pp dbl. occ.||12 or more guests from $4,498 pp dbl. occ.|
All Private Singles-Solos trips require a minimum of 16 guests.