Provence Bike Tour
- Incredible biking through perched villages, vineyards and orchards
- Private wine tastings of the best local vintages
- Soak up Provençal life in renowned Gordes and ochre-hued Roussillon
- Exquisite hotels including one of our favorites: Crillon le Brave
- Take aim during a round of pétanque
Côtes du Rhône Vineyards, Crillon le Brave & the Luberon
Lavender fields that come to life in the breeze. Cherry orchards around the bend. The Mistral that swirls in the paintings of van Gogh, Cézanne and Gauguin. The hills and villages that inspired them. The wines. The cool evenings. The breathtaking village of Gordes that stands on the edge of a cliff. And Roussillon with its brilliant red colors. Indulging in local specialties at lively outdoor markets. Playing a round of pétanque and sipping a café au lait. After your journey through Provence, this will be your new list of favorite things.
Days 1-2 Incredible biking through the unspoiled terrain of the Drôme region, the gateway to Provence Visit historic Châteauneuf-du-Pape for a tasting of its famous full-bodied reds Ride past picturesque towns awarded Côtes-du-Rhône-Villages AOC status for producing a superior quality wine under strict criteria On the way to the viticulture town of Gigondas, pedal a wooded road along the Dentelles de Montmirail, limestone mountains with dramatic serrated ridges.
Day 3 Exquisite hotels including one of our favorites: Crillon le Brave Ride the gradual ascent through stunning Gorges de la Nesque, a deep canyon below spectacular Mont Ventoux, on your way to Sault Meander through winding cobblestone streets for a taste of medieval Provence.
Day 4 Private tastings of the best local vintages The oh-so-Provençal fragrance of lavender welcomes you at the peaceful 12th-century Abbaye de Sénanque Explore Gordes, a glorious village perché clinging to the Vaucluse Plateau.
Days 5-6 Rub shoulders with locals in quintessential Provençal villages such as Lacoste (former haunt of the infamous Marquis de Sade) and Ménerbes, immortalized by Peter Mayle's best-selling A Year in Provence The Luberon's bucolic plains and foothills line your route to our wine tasting at Domaine de la Citadelle winery, whose popular museum displaying 1,200 corkscrews adds a unique twist Cross Pont Julien, a Roman bridge dating back to 3 BC, to reach the village of Roussillon, resting on one of the world's biggest ochre deposits.
Château de Massillan
Uchaux (1 night) With elegant contemporary interiors, this castle nestled in Côtes du Rhône vineyards was built in 1555 for a mistress of Henry II. (pool)
Hôtel Crillon le Brave
Crillon le Brave (2 nights) Flawlessly combining rustic charm and luxury, an "evocative country house hotel crowning an ancient hamlet, backdropped by Mont Ventoux," according to the Hideaway Report. A Relais & Châteaux member. Travel + Leisure World's Best. (pool)
Le Mas des Herbes Blanches
Joucas (2 nights) This ancient stone farmhouse-turned-sophisticated-inn offers splendid hilltop views of the Luberon Valley. A Relais & Châteaux member. (pool, tennis)
Guest Reviews About This Trip
Thanks for putting together these amazing experiences...maybe Congress needs one of these trips to Provence to see how peaceful life can be, how whether Democrat or Republican, we all want basically the same things in life, to be together with friends and family, to challenge ourselves physically, mentally and socially, to leave the world a better place, to take time to breathe and...most importantly, to enjoy the ride!- San Anselmo, CA
This was our best trip ever and we have taken four with B & R and one other with Backroads. The leaders made a world of difference.- New York, NY
Our biking trip in Provence was one of the best vacations I have had. It was well organized, the local inns were charming, and the guides were helpful, friendly and knowledgeable. I am already starting to think about where to go on our next Backroads trip.- Pickering, ON
Trip Dates & Prices
Please click on a date below for specific pricing and possible itinerary variations.
2014 CLASSIC DATES
- 9/14 - 9/19 ( $4798 per person, double occ., +$1470 for single occ.
- 9/21 - 9/26 ( $4898 per person, double occ., +$1470 for single occ.
- 9/28 - 10/3 ( $4898 per person, double occ., +$1470 for single occ.
- 10/5 - 10/10 ( $4798 per person, double occ., +$1470 for single occ.
2015 CLASSIC DATES
- 4/26 - 5/1 ( $4598 per person, double occ., +$1460 for single occ.
- 5/24 - 5/29 ( $4598 per person, double occ., +$1460 for single occ.
- 5/31 - 6/5 ( $4598 per person, double occ., +$1460 for single occ.
- 6/7 - 6/12 ( $4598 per person, double occ., +$1460 for single occ.
- 6/14 - 6/19 ( $4598 per person, double occ., +$1460 for single occ.
- 6/21 - 6/26 ( $4598 per person, double occ., +$1460 for single occ.
- 6/28 - 7/3 ( $4598 per person, double occ., +$1460 for single occ.
- 7/5 - 7/10 ( $4598 per person, double occ., +$1460 for single occ.
- 8/16 - 8/21 ( $4598 per person, double occ., +$1460 for single occ.
- 8/30 - 9/4 ( $4598 per person, double occ., +$1460 for single occ.
- 9/6 - 9/11 ( $4598 per person, double occ., +$1460 for single occ.
- 9/13 - 9/18 ( $4598 per person, double occ., +$1460 for single occ.
- 9/20 - 9/25 ( $4598 per person, double occ., +$1460 for single occ.
- 10/4 - 10/9 ( $4598 per person, double occ., +$1460 for single occ.
Don't see your ideal travel date? Call us at 800-462-2848 for Private Trip date availability.
This Trip Is Rated Level 2-5
Routes For All Abilities
Every Backroads trip is designed to appeal to a wide variety of interests and fitness levels. We know your pace may vary from one day to the next-and your traveling companion's may differ somewhat from yours. So we present a range of mileage options, and each day you decide exactly what and how much you want to do.
|Daily Route Options|
|Level 1||Level 2||Level 3||Level 4||Level 5|
|miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain|
* Includes a shuttle
Private Trips Options & Pricing
Gather your favorite people to share a Backroads adventure on a ready-to-book Private Trip - featuring all the legendary Backroads hallmarks from expert leaders to unforgettable activities.
You can pick from a large selection of dates for your group of 8 or more. Call us for date availability.
If your party has fewer than 8 guests, or if your preferred date is not available, we'll create a departure just for you.
Pricing for Private Trips (prices may vary based on departure date)
|2 - 3 guests from $6,698 pp dbl. occ.||8 - 9 guests from $5,298 pp dbl. occ.|
|4 - 5 guests from $6,098 pp dbl. occ.||10 - 11 guests from $4,698 pp dbl. occ.|
|6 - 7 guests from $5,598 pp dbl. occ.||12 or more guests from $4,398 pp dbl. occ.|
|2 - 3 guests from $6,798 pp dbl. occ.||8 - 9 guests from $5,498 pp dbl. occ.|
|4 - 5 guests from $6,198 pp dbl. occ.||10 - 11 guests from $4,898 pp dbl. occ.|
|6 - 7 guests from $5,698 pp dbl. occ.||12 or more guests from $4,598 pp dbl. occ.|