San Juan Islands Bike Tour
- Island-hop by ferry, and pedal through stunningly diverse scenery, from conifer forests to farmland to seaports
- Wildlife cruise with a naturalist - you may spot an orca!
- The breathtaking panorama of islands, snow-covered Mount Baker and the Olympic Peninsula
- La Conner, a charming fishing village with a relaxed country feel
- Waterfront lodging and fresh Northwest cuisine
Island to Island in the Pacific Northwest
It's so close, you can smell it. Sharp, fresh, invigorating. The sea air permeates every scene. San Juan harbors dappled with sunlight, sailboats flitting across the deep blue Puget Sound water. Washington State Ferries, bigger and more majestic than you've imagined, sound their call, the workhorses of the waterway. Off the ferry and onto a new island. Biking the country roads, each day is an adventure. Evergreen-lined lanes give way to rural pastures, then back again. But you're never far from the water. What's around the next corner? Time to find out.
Day 1 La Conner, a charming fishing village with beautiful boutiques and a relaxed country feel on the Swinomish Channel Bike through the fertile Skagit Valley, noted for its tulip and daffodil cultivation, with Mount Baker crowning the route.
Day 2 Island-hop by ferry, and pedal through stunningly diverse scenery, from conifer forests to farmlands to seaports After biking to Anacortes, set sail for hilly Orcas Island, a tapestry of rural landscapes Stop by Orcas Island Pottery, where one-of-a-kind pieces are displayed among Douglas fir and western red cedar.
Day 3 The breathtaking panorama of islands, snow-covered Mount Baker, Mount Rainier and the Olympic Peninsula On foot or two wheels in Moran State Park, make your way up Mount Constitution, the highest point in the San Juans.
Days 4-5 Wildlife cruise with a naturalist - you may spot an orca! Spin past secluded bays and driftwood beaches Swap pedals for paddles on an optional sea-kayaking excursion near Roche Harbor, and watch for otters and soaring eagles.
Day 6 Lopez Island - a bicyclist's paradise An easygoing route leads past farms and pastures, along the waterfront and through a forest - a great finale to the week!
La Conner (1 night) A comfortable inn with private balconies and beautiful vistas of the boats and birdlife residing in Swinomish Channel.
Orcas Island (2 nights) It's a short walk to the private beach and the shops and galleries of downtown from this retreat at the water's edge.
Friday Harbor House
San Juan Island (2 nights) Described by Andrew Harper as an "appealing contemporary island lodge affording exceptional views of the San Juan Channel."
Guest Reviews About This Trip
This trip was an adventure for us to a new and spectacular landscape. It was interesting to do a biking trip that also offered opportunities for hiking and sea kayaking, mixed with a number of interesting geographic and historic learning experiences...We are so glad to have discovered the uplifting Backroads type of vacation, and we shall continue to participate in these trips as long as we are physically able to do so.- Rockville, MD
One of my best Backroads trips -- very relaxing and stunningly beautiful!- Brooklyn, NY
Each island was (impossibly) more beautiful than the next. We experienced a true getaway in every sense.- San Diego, CA
Trip Dates & Prices
Please click on a date below for specific pricing and possible itinerary variations.
2015 CLASSIC DATES
- 6/14 - 6/19 ( $3098 per person, double occ., +$780 for single occ.
- 6/21 - 6/26 ( $3098 per person, double occ., +$780 for single occ.
- 6/28 - 7/3 ( $3098 per person, double occ., +$780 for single occ.
- 7/5 - 7/10 ( $3098 per person, double occ., +$780 for single occ.
- 7/12 - 7/17 ( $3098 per person, double occ., +$780 for single occ.
- 7/19 - 7/24 ( $3098 per person, double occ., +$780 for single occ.
- 7/26 - 7/31 ( $3098 per person, double occ., +$780 for single occ.
- 8/2 - 8/7 ( $3298 per person, double occ., +$780 for single occ.
- 8/9 - 8/14 ( $3098 per person, double occ., +$780 for single occ.
- 8/16 - 8/21 ( $3098 per person, double occ., +$780 for single occ.
- 8/23 - 8/28 ( $3098 per person, double occ., +$780 for single occ.
- 8/30 - 9/4 ( $3098 per person, double occ., +$780 for single occ.
Don't see your ideal travel date? Call us at 800-462-2848 for Private Trip date availability.
This Trip Is Rated Level 2-4
Routes For All Abilities
Every Backroads trip is designed to appeal to a wide variety of interests and fitness levels. We know your pace may vary from one day to the next-and your traveling companion's may differ somewhat from yours. So we present a range of mileage options, and each day you decide exactly what and how much you want to do.
|Daily Route Options|
|Level 1||Level 2||Level 3||Level 4||Level 5|
|miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain|
|Morning Hike (4.5 Miles, 2,100 feet elevation gain)|
|Afternoon Hike (3 Miles)|
|San Juan Island Wildlife-Watching Cruise (4 Hours)|
|Optional Kayaking in Roche Harbor|
The level of difficulty assigned to each day's routes takes into account the elevation gain and road surface. (Roads in the San Juans tend to be gravel-sealed, creating more rolling resistance.)
* Includes a shuttle
Private Trips Options & Pricing
Pricing for Private Trips (prices may vary based on departure date)
|2 - 3 guests from $5,398 pp dbl. occ.||8 - 9 guests from $3,898 pp dbl. occ.|
|4 - 5 guests from $4,598 pp dbl. occ.||10 - 11 guests from $3,398 pp dbl. occ.|
|6 - 7 guests from $4,198 pp dbl. occ.||12 or more guests from $3,098 pp dbl. occ.|