Piedmont Bike Tour
- Discover a culinary landscape famous for hazelnuts, cheeses, truffles and wine
- Tranquil hamlets, castles and hillside vineyards make for idyllic scenery along our route
- Welcoming enoteche (wineshops) invite you to pull over for a sip; give in to temptation!
- Explore 1,000-year-old La Morra, a premiere Barolo-producing town
- Experience the historic charm and five-star luxury of Relais San Maurizio
A Food & Wine Lover's Paradise
Nestled between the Alps and the Mediterranean. The benchmark for Italian vintages. And the birthplace of the Slow Food Movement. You’re in Piedmont. It’s a place of richness. The wines. The flavors. The truffles. The backdrops. Every turn a new view. Every meal a delight. Every stay, decadent. You may have never thought to come to Piedmont with all that Italy has to show you. But when you’re this close to the Alps, your experience can’t get much higher.
Days 1-2 Discover the gourmet paradise of the Langhe, known for its cheeses, hazelnuts, truffles and wines Pedal through agricultural lands into vineyards, where the world-famous Barbera, Barolo and Barbaresco wines get their start The roller-coaster ridgeline offers fantastic views—and a fair amount of climbing Discover the delectable flavors of the Langhe with a wine tasting and dinner at a local winery.
Day 3 Spin through Barolo, a pretty town crowned by an imposing 10th-century castle It won't take you long to realize that Barolo lives and breathes wine! Explore 1,000-year-old La Morra, a recently recognized World Heritage site with splendid vistas of the Langhe landscape Think you've got a nose for truffles? Find out when an expert and his canine assistant join us to sniff out the delicacy Linger over dinner in the cobbled village of Monforte d'Alba.
Day 4 Bike amid gently tapered hills and endless stretches of grapevines to reach the famous viticulture town of Barbaresco, which tempts us with its regional enoteca—why not pull over for a pour? Or opt for an afternoon of pampering at our hotel's spa.
Days 5-6 Superb Michelin-starred Piedmontese cuisine at Relais San Maurizio Ride to San Martino Alfieri's privately owned 17th-century castle for a wine tasting and cantina tour Pedal along the Tanaro River on a tranquil undulating route serving up more classic Piedmont scenery—rolling hills, apple orchards, hazelnut groves and, of course, vineyards.
Fossano (1 night) A beautifully restored noble residence in the center of the medieval town of Fossano. A Small Luxury Hotels of the World member.
Il Boscareto Resort & Spa
Serralunga d'Alba (2 nights) This fashionable hideaway in the Langhe hills is surrounded by vineyards, medieval castles and hilltop villages. (pool, spa)
Relais San Maurizio
Santo Stefano Belbo (2 nights) This former Franciscan monastery is now a luxurious hotel celebrated for its serene hilltop setting and Michelin-starred cuisine. A Relais & Châteaux member. (pool, spa)
Guest Reviews About This Trip
This was the best trip I've had so far. Piedmont is an amazing place with fantastic riding. Lots of lovely long hills and great downhill rewards. It is a wonderful place where nature greets the rider in all her splendor every day and the surprises come thick and fast.- Sydney, Australia
This was a fantastic trip. The region was breathtaking and I could tell that tremendous care and planning went into making it all that it could be. The leaders had such passion and excitement about the trip and that made our experience so much richer.- Montclair, NJ
The trip was perfect in every way. The hotels were great and got better as we went along. I loved the restaurants. The trip had a perfect balance of biking, eating and cultural experiences. Every day we did a fun cultural outing like grappa tasting, wine tasting, looking at a remote Sol Lewitt chapel, special picnics with Italian countesses and more. Each experience made me feel like I was an insider and not just an ordinary tourist. I loved these extra experiences and they made the biking day feel very special. I learned a lot about the region from the Backroads leaders.- Berkeley, CA
Trip Dates & Prices
Please click on a date below for specific pricing and possible itinerary variations.
2015 CLASSIC DATES
- 5/17 - 5/22 ( $4498 per person, double occ., +$1400 for single occ.
- 5/31 - 6/5 ( $4498 per person, double occ., +$1400 for single occ.
- 6/7 - 6/12 ( $4498 per person, double occ., +$1400 for single occ.
- 6/14 - 6/19 ( $4498 per person, double occ., +$1400 for single occ.
- 6/21 - 6/26 ( $4498 per person, double occ., +$1400 for single occ.
- 6/28 - 7/3 ( $4698 per person, double occ., +$1400 for single occ.
- 7/5 - 7/10 ( $4498 per person, double occ., +$1400 for single occ.
- 7/12 - 7/17 ( $4498 per person, double occ., +$1400 for single occ.
- 7/19 - 7/24 ( $4498 per person, double occ., +$1400 for single occ.
- 7/26 - 7/31 ( $4498 per person, double occ., +$1400 for single occ.
- 8/30 - 9/4 ( $4698 per person, double occ., +$1400 for single occ.
- 9/6 - 9/11 ( $4498 per person, double occ., +$1400 for single occ.
- 9/8 - 9/13 ( $4498 per person, double occ., +$1400 for single occ.
- 9/13 - 9/18 ( $4498 per person, double occ., +$1400 for single occ.
- 9/15 - 9/20 ( $4498 per person, double occ., +$1400 for single occ.
- 9/20 - 9/25 ( $4498 per person, double occ., +$1400 for single occ.
- 9/22 - 9/27 ( $4498 per person, double occ., +$1400 for single occ.
- 9/27 - 10/2 ( $4498 per person, double occ., +$1400 for single occ.
- 9/29 - 10/4 ( $4498 per person, double occ., +$1400 for single occ.
Don't see your ideal travel date? Call us at 800-462-2848 for Private Trip date availability.
This Trip Is Rated Level 2-4
Routes For All Abilities
Every Backroads trip is designed to appeal to a wide variety of interests and fitness levels. We know your pace may vary from one day to the next-and your traveling companion's may differ somewhat from yours. So we present a range of mileage options, and each day you decide exactly what and how much you want to do.
|Daily Route Options|
|Level 1||Level 2||Level 3||Level 4||Level 5|
|miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain|
Terrain description: This trip has a level 2–4 activity rating, but some days will have challenging hills. So while it is possible to ride this trip at a level 2, be prepared for climbs and descents and the occasional shuttle in the van. While the inclines are typically gradual, they are constant. Be sure to check your speed on the downhills. We do encounter some fairly trafficked stretches on some days, as well as a few bumpy roads.
* Includes a shuttle
Private Trips Options & Pricing
Gather your favorite people to share a Backroads adventure on a ready-to-book Private Trip - featuring all the legendary Backroads hallmarks from expert leaders to unforgettable activities.
You can pick from a large selection of dates for your group of 8 or more. Call us for date availability.
If your party has fewer than 8 guests, or if your preferred date is not available, we'll create a departure just for you.
Pricing for Private Trips (prices may vary based on departure date)
|2 - 3 guests from $6,798 pp dbl. occ.||8 - 9 guests from $5,298 pp dbl. occ.|
|4 - 5 guests from $5,998 pp dbl. occ.||10 - 11 guests from $4,798 pp dbl. occ.|
|6 - 7 guests from $5,598 pp dbl. occ.||12 or more guests from $4,498 pp dbl. occ.|
All Private Singles-Solos trips require a minimum of 16 guests.