Maine Bike Tour
- Savor the scent of sea air and the crash of waves on rocky shores
- The silence of deep pine forests and the flavors of the day's fresh catch
- Fresh lobster—need we say more?
- Discover the countless charms of Camden, with its sublime harborside setting
- Warm hospitality at elegant and historic inns
In Acadia National Park & Along Penobscot Bay
Maine's beauty lies in its rawness. Fresh tart blueberries growing wild on the side of the road. Hills rising from the rocky shores of Camden. Winding roads built centuries ago that hug the shore connecting village to village. Morning mist on Penobscot Bay. But in between the ruggedness lies the real beauty of Maine. Even a delicacy like Maine lobster still involves shells and claws. It's raw. It's true. It's Maine.
Days 1-2 Savor the scent of sea air and the flavors of the day's fresh catch Pedal amid the majestic fir and towering spruce of Somes Sound on beautiful Mount Desert Island Pounding surf collides with rugged coastline while lush boreal and hardwood forests blanket glacier-scoured hills in Acadia National Park The arched bridges and tranquility of Acadia's carriage road system, a gift from John D. Rockefeller, Jr., make for lovely riding In the mood for a challenge? Bike to Cadillac Mountain's 1,532-foot summit, the North Atlantic Seaboard's highest point and reputedly the first US location to see the rising sun.
Days 3-5 Discover the countless charms of Camden, with its sublime harborside setting and wealth of historic architecture Have a look around dynamic Belfast—home to more art galleries than any other town of its size in Maine—before cycling through the tiny coastal resort of Bayside Quiet roads lead into the heart of Rockland, where you can enjoy lunch, browse in the many bookstores or linger at a café Be sure not to miss the Farnsworth Art Museum, nationally recognized for its rich collection of Wyeth family paintings Savor a farewell dinner at our inn's elegant award-winning French restaurant The rolling countryside surrounding Camden and Lake Megunticook invites a scenic morning spin For one last "downeast" experience, treat yourself to a cup of coffee at the Hope General Store, a colorful local spot founded in 1832.
West Street Hotel
Bar Harbor (2 nights) Spectacular views and elegant accommodations await at this luxury boutique hotel on Frenchman Bay. (pool, spa)
Camden Harbour Inn
Camden (2 nights) An award-winning restaurant, exceptional hospitality and plush amenities come together to create a "refined stylishness that balances classic with contemporary," according to Andrew Harper. A Relais & Châteaux member. (spa)
Guest Reviews About This Trip
The Backroads Maine trip? The best vacation ever! It couldn't be better. Fantastic views and routes, excellent accommodations, best food ever. Full of fun spots. We got a great group. When we thought it couldn't be better, you topped that.- Caracas, Venezuela
We had an awesome trip! It was so well organized, so much fun and really top-notch. We loved all of the special places we visited.- Highland Park, IL
From the individuals who helped me with making the initial trip reservation, to the person who answered my last minute pre-trip questions, to the trip itself (leaders, location, bike quality, food) - all were superb! The locations were beautiful, the hotel/inn were both great, as was the food.- Santa Monica, CA
Trip Dates & Prices
Please click on a date below for specific pricing and possible itinerary variations.
2015 CLASSIC DATES
- 6/29 - 7/3 ( $2598 per person, double occ., +$1030 for single occ.
- 7/6 - 7/10 ( $2798 per person, double occ., +$1030 for single occ. Peak Season Rates Apply!
- 7/13 - 7/17 ( $2898 per person, double occ., +$1030 for single occ. Peak Season Rates Apply!
- 7/27 - 7/31 ( $2798 per person, double occ., +$1030 for single occ. Peak Season Rates Apply!
- 8/3 - 8/7 ( $2798 per person, double occ., +$1030 for single occ. Peak Season Rates Apply!
- 8/10 - 8/14 ( $2798 per person, double occ., +$1030 for single occ. Peak Season Rates Apply!
- 8/17 - 8/21 ( $2798 per person, double occ., +$1030 for single occ. Peak Season Rates Apply!
- 8/24 - 8/28 ( $2798 per person, double occ., +$1030 for single occ. Peak Season Rates Apply!
- 8/31 - 9/4 ( $2798 per person, double occ., +$1030 for single occ. Peak Season Rates Apply!
- 9/7 - 9/11 ( $2598 per person, double occ., +$1030 for single occ.
- 9/21 - 9/25 ( $2598 per person, double occ., +$1030 for single occ.
- 9/28 - 10/2 ( $2598 per person, double occ., +$1030 for single occ.
- 10/5 - 10/9 ( $2598 per person, double occ., +$1030 for single occ.
Don't see your ideal travel date? Call us at 800-462-2848 for Private Trip date availability.
This Trip Is Rated Level 2-4
Routes For All Abilities
Every Backroads trip is designed to appeal to a wide variety of interests and fitness levels. We know your pace may vary from one day to the next-and your traveling companion's may differ somewhat from yours. So we present a range of mileage options, and each day you decide exactly what and how much you want to do.
|Daily Route Options|
|Level 1||Level 2||Level 3||Level 4||Level 5|
|miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain|
|Optional Afternoon Kayaking|
To make for the most comfortable ride to this particular trip, we've outfitted our titanium road bike with slightly wider tires. You'll appreciate this on those stretches of the route with hard-packed dirt (approximately 20% dirt and 80% paved).
Given the geology of the area, the terrain consists of constant rises and valleys. In large part, it is the challenging terrain that makes biking in Maine so rewarding. Use extra caution along the narrow trafficked roads, which offer minimal shoulders. Also note that there are dips and rises along the pavement due to the seasonal freeze and thaw that occurs in the region.
* Includes a shuttle
Private Trips Options & Pricing
Gather your favorite people to share a Backroads adventure on a ready-to-book Private Trip - featuring all the legendary Backroads hallmarks from expert leaders to unforgettable activities.
You can pick from a large selection of dates for your group of 8 or more. Call us for date availability.
If your party has fewer than 8 guests, or if your preferred date is not available, we'll create a departure just for you.
Pricing for Private Trips (prices may vary based on departure date)
|2 - 3 guests from $4,598 pp dbl. occ.||8 - 9 guests from $3,398 pp dbl. occ.|
|4 - 5 guests from $3,998 pp dbl. occ.||10 - 11 guests from $2,898 pp dbl. occ.|
|6 - 7 guests from $3,598 pp dbl. occ.||12 or more guests from $2,598 pp dbl. occ.|
All Private Singles-Solos trips require a minimum of 16 guests.