Dordogne & Bordeaux Bike Tour
- A perfect pairing: the Dordogne's colorful history and Bordeaux's renowned viticulture
- Stunningly preserved engravings and paintings at the Rouffignac cave
- An elaborate Michelin-starred meal by famed chef Vincent Arnould
- Pedal past world-famous Bordeaux Grand Cru vineyards
- St-Émilion, beloved for its extraordinary monolithic cathedral
Through Prehistory to the Great Wine Estates
Travel through time across the French countryside. Start with Dordogne. Quiet hamlets rest among dense walnut groves. Rivers meander beneath high cliffs. Next there’s Bordeaux. A grapevine-laden landscape home to some of the world’s most famous vineyards—like picturesque St-Émilion. It’s a land of medieval villages, noble châteaux and lavish hotels. And where haute cuisine and wine tastings are the norm. Now it’s yours to discover on two wheels, drinking in everything that is Dordogne and Bordeaux.
Days 1-2 Peaceful rides on country roads past walnut groves, tobacco fields and timeless villages Behold Cro-Magnon cave art at the prehistoric grottoes of Rouffignac depicting images of mammoths, bison and other large game that once roamed these hills Take a guided tour into the cave to explore prehistory up close Relish a Michelin-starred dinner created by renowned chef Vincent Arnould.
Day 3 A perfect pairing: the Dordogne's colorful history and Bordeaux's renowned viticulture Pedal through small farming hamlets and fertile vineyards en route to St-Nexans Explore and taste the wine from 16th-century Château de Monbazillac Bike past row upon row of prestigious Bergerac vineyards, where the ripening fruit will one day become a sumptuous red wine Cap off the day with a fabulous dinner at our hotel's sophisticated Michelin-starred restaurant.
Day 4 Spin into the vineyard-laced Bordeaux region from the wooded Dordogne River Valley and admire stunning mosaic-tiled floors at the Gallo-Roman ruins in Montcaret An oenologist at the Vignobles & Châteaux wine school offers an initiation into tasting—you'll learn how to recognize Bordeaux vintages by color, smell and taste.
Days 5-6 Exclusive tour and dégustation with a local expert at a Grand Cru château Two-wheel it on undulating terrain past centuries-old churches, inviting hamlets and famous vineyards Stroll through St. Émilion, a beautiful World Heritage site and epicenter for French wines, before discovering its underground treasures on a walking tour For a burst of regional flavor, enjoy a macaron—the sweet and chewy cookies have been produced here since the 1600s.
Le Vieux Logis
Trémolat (2 nights) This enchanting manor house-hotel with idyllic gardens and a Michelin-starred restaurant was a priory in the 1500s. A Relais & Châteaux member. (pool)
Château des Vigiers
Monestier (1 night) This grand château, set on the Bordeaux Route des Vins amid vineyards and a golf course, dates back to 1597 and its restaurant boasts a Michelin star. A Small Luxury Hotels of the World member. (pool, spa, tennis, golf)
Hostellerie de Plaisance
St-Émilion (2 nights) In the heart of a medieval village, an exceptional hotel that exudes refinement and discreet luxury. A Relais & Châteaux member.
Guest Reviews About This Trip
This was my first premiere trip and it was amazing. I consider it one of life's greatest experiences. The mix of superb leaders, great cycling, fascinating excursions, and exceptional food, wine and accommodations made this trip a once-in-a-lifetime experience.- Tucson, AZ
The trip exceeded my expectations in so many ways. The bicycle routes were fantastic: true "back roads" of France. What a wonderful way to see the countryside. We never could have had that experience in any other sort of vacation environment.- Indianapolis, IN
This was a fabulous trip and the guides were the BEST we've ever had. They both were exceptional. This trip exceeded our expectations!!!!! We are planning our next trip already!!!!- Sun Valley,ID
Trip Dates & Prices
Please click on a date below for specific pricing and possible itinerary variations.
2015 CLASSIC DATES
- 5/24 - 5/29 ( $4948 per person, double occ., +$1490 for single occ.
- 5/31 - 6/5 ( $4848 per person, double occ., +$1490 for single occ.
- 6/7 - 6/12 ( $5048 per person, double occ., +$1490 for single occ.
- 6/14 - 6/19 ( $4848 per person, double occ., +$1490 for single occ.
- 6/28 - 7/3 ( $4948 per person, double occ., +$1490 for single occ.
- 7/5 - 7/10 ( $5048 per person, double occ., +$1490 for single occ.
- 7/19 - 7/24 ( $4598 per person, double occ., +$1490 for single occ.
- 8/2 - 8/7 ( $4848 per person, double occ., +$1490 for single occ.
- 8/16 - 8/21 ( $4948 per person, double occ., +$1490 for single occ.
- 8/30 - 9/4 ( $4948 per person, double occ., +$1490 for single occ.
- 9/6 - 9/11 ( $5048 per person, double occ., +$1490 for single occ.
- 9/8 - 9/13 ( $4848 per person, double occ., +$1490 for single occ.
- 9/20 - 9/25 ( $4948 per person, double occ., +$1490 for single occ.
- 9/27 - 10/2 ( $5048 per person, double occ., +$1490 for single occ.
- 9/29 - 10/4 ( $4848 per person, double occ., +$1490 for single occ.
Don't see your ideal travel date? Call us at 800-462-2848 for Private Trip date availability.
This Trip Is Rated Level 2-4
Routes For All Abilities
Every Backroads trip is designed to appeal to a wide variety of interests and fitness levels. We know your pace may vary from one day to the next-and your traveling companion's may differ somewhat from yours. So we present a range of mileage options, and each day you decide exactly what and how much you want to do.
|Daily Route Options|
|Level 1||Level 2||Level 3||Level 4||Level 5|
|miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain|
* Includes a shuttle
Private Trips Options & Pricing
Gather your favorite people to share a Backroads adventure on a ready-to-book Private Trip - featuring all the legendary Backroads hallmarks from expert leaders to unforgettable activities.
You can pick from a large selection of dates for your group of 8 or more. Call us for date availability.
If your party has fewer than 8 guests, or if your preferred date is not available, we'll create a departure just for you.
Pricing for Private Trips (prices may vary based on departure date)
|2 - 3 guests from $6,998 pp dbl. occ.||8 - 9 guests from $5,498 pp dbl. occ.|
|4 - 5 guests from $6,398 pp dbl. occ.||10 - 11 guests from $4,898 pp dbl. occ.|
|6 - 7 guests from $5,798 pp dbl. occ.||12 or more guests from $4,598 pp dbl. occ.|
All Private Singles-Solos trips require a minimum of 16 guests.