Crater Lake Bike Tour New!
- Challenging routes amid magnificent scenery in Central Oregon's high country
- Skirt the rim of Crater Lake's world-famous caldera—one of Bicycling magazine's favorite rides
- Experience unsurpassed beauty along the rave-worthy Cascade Lakes Highway
- Soak up the scene and refuel at a craft brewery in outdoorsy Bend
- Get your cowboy on along the wooden boardwalk of historic Sisters
From Eugene to Bend amid Central Oregon's Cascades
Now this is living! Summer sun shining. Cold beverage in hand. Feet up, kicking back on the deck of Crater Lake Lodge. Marveling at the indescribable blue of the water... There's nowhere you need to be and nothing you need to do. If there were, why would you want to? Thirty-four vigorous miles around the rim this morning, with views of Crater Lake from every angle—each new vista somehow even better than the last. You're still feeling mesmerized. And completely content. You might even say you couldn't wait for tomorrow... if life weren't so perfect today.
Days 1-2 Astonishing Crater Lake, the country's deepest lake—uniquely beautiful and seemingly undiscovered From mile-high Diamond Lake Resort, pedal rolling terrain against a backdrop of thick conifer forests Cross into Crater Lake National Park—ready for the 2,500-foot climb to the top of the crater? As you circle the rim of this enormous caldera, you can't help admiring the lake's intense sapphire color and amazing clarity Each curve in the road brings another incredible vista, from the cinder cone of Wizard Island to the 9,000-foot-peak of Mount Scott Unwind at the lodge or explore the spectacular landscape on foot.
Days 3-4 The Cascade Lakes Highway, a National Scenic Byway meandering through forests, lava fields and lake-dotted valleys Spin in the shadow of Broken Top Mountain and the Three Sisters' volcanic peaks—the most demanding ride of the trip but also the most rewarding! Elk Lake, with Mount Bachelor looming ahead, sets the stage for lunch Finish your ride at the lake or pedal all the way to Bend Bike in the rolling Cascade foothills, savoring the fragrance of pines and mountain views in every direction.
Days 5-6 Smith Rock, whose sheer volcanic crags are acclaimed by climbers worldwide Taking a break from your bike today doesn't necessarily mean taking it easy—the hike at Smith Rock can be as mellow or challenging as you like Or log some epic miles on two wheels, pedaling from Bend to Smith Rock, then continuing on to the lively Old West-style town of Sisters Ride McKenzie Pass, one of Oregon's most beautiful road biking routes, past ancient lava flows and into the lush valley Belknap Hot Springs—located along the McKenzie River—provides an idyllic setting for our farewell picnic.
Premiere & Casual Inns*
Crater Lake Lodge
Crater Lake National Park (2 nights) Perched on the crater's rim, this classic national park lodge transports you to a bygone era.
The Oxford Hotel
Bend (2 nights) A luxury boutique hotel ideally located amid the shops, galleries, cafés and brewpubs of vibrant downtown Bend.
Sisters (1 night) Soak up the elegant Western-style ambience at this lodge, nestled in beautiful surroundings and featuring a brewpub, athletic club and even a movie house. (pool, spa)
Guest Reviews About This Trip
Calling all high-energy cyclists who love to climb hills: this is your chance to experience incredible Crater Lake - "one of the 100 most beautiful places in the world," according to National Geographic - and three different national forests. Get off the bike and enjoy hiking options to a gorgeous high-alpine lake and at Smith Rock, a rock-climbing mecca. And ride McKenzie Pass! In just over 30 miles, you'll bike out of the high desert - into the heart of the Cascades - and through ancient lava flows, finally descending into a temperate rain forest.- Regional Manager, North America
Trip Dates & Prices
Please click on a date below for specific pricing and possible itinerary variations.
2015 CLASSIC DATES
- 8/8 - 8/13 ( $3098 per person, double occ., +$800 for single occ.
- 8/15 - 8/20 ( $3098 per person, double occ., +$800 for single occ.
- 8/22 - 8/27 ( $3198 per person, double occ., +$800 for single occ.
- 9/5 - 9/10 ( $3098 per person, double occ., +$800 for single occ.
- 9/12 - 9/17 ( $3098 per person, double occ., +$800 for single occ.
- 9/19 - 9/24 ( $3098 per person, double occ., +$800 for single occ.
- 9/26 - 10/1 ( $3198 per person, double occ., +$800 for single occ.
2016 CLASSIC DATES
- 7/9 - 7/14 ( $2998 per person, double occ., +$800 for single occ.
- 7/16 - 7/21 ( $2998 per person, double occ., +$800 for single occ.
- 7/30 - 8/4 ( $2998 per person, double occ., +$800 for single occ.
- 8/6 - 8/11 ( $2998 per person, double occ., +$800 for single occ.
- 8/13 - 8/18 ( $2998 per person, double occ., +$800 for single occ.
- 8/20 - 8/25 ( $2998 per person, double occ., +$800 for single occ.
- 9/10 - 9/15 ( $2998 per person, double occ., +$800 for single occ.
- 9/17 - 9/22 ( $2998 per person, double occ., +$800 for single occ.
- 10/1 - 10/6 ( $2998 per person, double occ., +$800 for single occ.
2016 SINGLES-SOLOS DATES
- 7/23 - 7/28 ( $2998 per person, double occ., +$800 for single occ.
Don't see your ideal travel date? Call us at 800-462-2848 for Private Trip date availability.
This Trip Is Rated Level 2-5
Routes For All Abilities
Every Backroads trip is designed to appeal to a wide variety of interests and fitness levels. We know your pace may vary from one day to the next-and your traveling companion's may differ somewhat from yours. So we present a range of mileage options, and each day you decide exactly what and how much you want to do.
|Daily Route Options|
|Level 1||Level 2||Level 3||Level 4||Level 5|
|miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain|
|Optional Hiking (4 Miles; 700' elevation gain )|
* Includes a shuttle
Private Trips Options & Pricing
Gather your favorite people to share a Backroads adventure on a ready-to-book Private Trip - featuring all the legendary Backroads hallmarks from expert leaders to unforgettable activities.
You can pick from a large selection of dates for your group of 8 or more. Call us for date availability.
If your party has fewer than 8 guests, or if your preferred date is not available, we'll create a departure just for you.
Pricing for Private Trips (prices may vary based on departure date)
|2 - 3 guests from $4,198 pp dbl. occ.||8 - 9 guests from $3,398 pp dbl. occ.|
|4 - 5 guests from $3,798 pp dbl. occ.||10 - 11 guests from $3,098 pp dbl. occ.|
|6 - 7 guests from $3,598 pp dbl. occ.||12 or more guests from $2,798 pp dbl. occ.|
|2 - 3 guests from $4,498 pp dbl. occ.||8 - 9 guests from $3,698 pp dbl. occ.|
|4 - 5 guests from $4,098 pp dbl. occ.||10 - 11 guests from $3,298 pp dbl. occ.|
|6 - 7 guests from $3,798 pp dbl. occ.||12 or more guests from $2,998 pp dbl. occ.|
All Private Singles-Solos trips require a minimum of 16 guests.