Wine Country Weekend Bike Tour
- A short getaway that feels much longer
- Explore three picturesque Wine Country valleys in three days
- Taste local vintages at some of our all-time favorite wineries
- Pedal through the little-known Russian River Valley, where terraced vineyards flank quiet roads
- Michelin-starred dinner of New Californian cuisine at Madrona Manor
In California's Alexander & Dry Creek Valleys
Pedaling from Alexander Valley to Dry Creek and along the Russian River, three days never felt so good. Or so luxuriously long. Oak-speckled mountains. Winding, endless roads of manicured vineyards. Healdsburg's blend of farm-town friendliness and urban sophistication. A bounteous lunch alfresco leads to a Michelin-starred dinner. Crisp white wines and rich reds. A perfect night's sleep. Didn't we just arrive? It already feels like a week.
Day 1 Three days, three picturesque vineyard-laced valleys, world-class wine and gourmet cuisine Kick off the weekend with a Backroads picnic in the majestic old-growth forest of Armstrong Redwoods State Reserve Ride through the little-known Russian River Valley, where terraced vineyards flank quiet roads The tallest in the grove stands more than 300 feet high—nearly the length of a football field! In Healdsburg, our home for two nights, feel free to stroll around the charming and historic central square or simply relax at the hotel Savor Madrona Manor’s exquisite Michelin-starred cuisine, which features fresh vegetables from its organic kitchen garden.
Day 2 Bike over Chalk Hill through oak forest into Alexander Valley An exclusive winery sets the scene for a picnic and the sampling of an excellent merlot Ride to charming Healdsburg, whose plaza welcomes a wander.
Day 3 Taste local vintages at some of our all-time favorite wineries Spin along hillsides blanketed with grapevines, apple orchards and native oak woodland in Dry Creek Valley, acclaimed for its fine zinfandels A gradual climb takes you back into the neighboring Alexander Valley, often compared to France’s Bordeaux region Check out art galleries and tasting rooms in Geyserville, a town founded after the discovery of hot springs in a nearby gorge in 1847 You can also opt for an unhurried morning at the hotel or pick up a last-minute gift from one of the shops in town.
Healdsburg (2 nights) A hip eco-friendly hotel praised by the New York Times for its living roof, solar heating and cool aesthetic. (pool)
Guest Reviews About This Trip
We had an awesome experience. The people, the atmosphere, the delicious meals, the opportunity to experience wine country on a bike and having someone else do all of the logistics was priceless.- Cortlandt Manor, NY
Although I was traveling with a group, I did most of my biking by myself. I really enjoyed this. I was able to go at my own pace and really let my mind wander and just take in the beautiful surrounding scenery. I had my directions, my cell phone and the van continually sweeping the route, so I knew I had an excellent support system backing me up. For those who hesitate to book a Backroads trip as you do not like to travel in a group, think of me riding solo through the California Wine Country and loving every minute of it!! This type of trip allows you to experience the region in your own way, yet with the support of a whole team behind you making sure you experience it as fully as you possibly can on your own terms.- Sylvania, OH
A fabulous mix of hard work and luxury - the best planned group trip I have ever been on. The leaders were organized, prepared at every moment, and delightful at every moment. I can't say enough about how good this trip was. The lunches the guys prepared were delicious. Even though I was the slowest rider they did not pressure me to go faster.- Citrus Heights, CA
Trip Dates & Prices
Please click on a date below for specific pricing and possible itinerary variations.
2015 CLASSIC DATES
- 5/1 - 5/3 ( $1898 per person, double occ., +$640 for single occ.
- 5/15 - 5/17 ( $1798 per person, double occ., +$640 for single occ.
- 5/29 - 5/31 ( $1798 per person, double occ., +$640 for single occ.
- 6/12 - 6/14 ( $1798 per person, double occ., +$640 for single occ.
- 6/26 - 6/28 ( $1798 per person, double occ., +$640 for single occ.
- 7/10 - 7/12 ( $1798 per person, double occ., +$640 for single occ.
- 8/7 - 8/9 ( $1798 per person, double occ., +$640 for single occ.
- 8/21 - 8/23 ( $1798 per person, double occ., +$640 for single occ.
- 9/4 - 9/6 ( $1798 per person, double occ., +$640 for single occ.
- 9/18 - 9/20 ( $1798 per person, double occ., +$640 for single occ.
- 10/2 - 10/4 ( $1798 per person, double occ., +$640 for single occ.
- 10/16 - 10/18 ( $1798 per person, double occ., +$640 for single occ.
- 10/30 - 11/1 ( $1798 per person, double occ., +$640 for single occ.
- 11/13 - 11/15 ( $1798 per person, double occ., +$640 for single occ.
Don't see your ideal travel date? Call us at 800-462-2848 for Private Trip date availability.
This Trip Is Rated Level 1-4
Routes For All Abilities
Every Backroads trip is designed to appeal to a wide variety of interests and fitness levels. We know your pace may vary from one day to the next-and your traveling companion's may differ somewhat from yours. So we present a range of mileage options, and each day you decide exactly what and how much you want to do.
|Daily Route Options|
|Level 1||Level 2||Level 3||Level 4||Level 5|
|miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain|
* Includes a shuttle
Private Trips Options & Pricing
Pricing for Private Trips (prices may vary based on departure date)
|2 - 3 guests from $3,398 pp dbl. occ.||8 - 9 guests from $2,298 pp dbl. occ.|
|4 - 5 guests from $2,998 pp dbl. occ.||10 - 11 guests from $2,098 pp dbl. occ.|
|6 - 7 guests from $2,498 pp dbl. occ.||12 or more guests from $1,798 pp dbl. occ.|