It's impossible to think of Tuscany without thinking of its famous cuisine. In fact, there are few places on Earth where devotion to eating well reaches such reverential heights. But it's one thing to taste Tuscan cuisine—quite another to understand the passion and technique behind it. It's a celebration of seasons. A appreciation for fresh, quality ingredients prepared with minimal manipulation. And the joy of sharing the table with family and friends.
With us, you'll not only explore Tuscany's timeless landscapes on foot, you'll also experience its magic in la cucina. Alongside welcoming chefs, put on your apron and learn how to toast the perfect bruschetta al pomodoro, cook pasta to al dente perfection, craft a panna cotta that melts in your mouth. And return home with actual know-how and a host of new Tuscan friends—the ultimate souvenir!
Give us a call at 800-462-2848 to book your vacation—our Trip Consultants are available 7 days a week 7-5 Pacific time.
We hope to see you in Tuscany this year!
Regional Manager, Italy with Backroads since 1996
A True Taste of Tuscany
Slow down, let food be the focal point of the day. And savor this journey that nurtures both body and spirit. On this trip you'll...
- wander among woodland, centuries-old vineyards and within the ramparts of romantic Renaissance hill towns, getting to know our local amici along the way.
- enjoy an evening of great food, hands-on cooking demos and wonderful company at Tutti a Tavola, a cooking school operated by four "Tuscan Mammas," whose passion for cooking and eating well is infectious.
- chat with Dario Cecchini, a Panzano butcher turned international celebrity, who enthusiastically shares his knowledge of traditional Tuscan spices.
- gain insight into the "rules" of ordering coffee in Italy from our longtime local friend Fabrizio at his bar in Radda.
- gather in la cucina with Patrizia, who cheerfully guides us through the creation of our evening meal—a typical Tuscan dinner, of course!
- learn about the regional "liquid gold" and the process of pressing olives during a visit with Francesco, an olive oil producer in the countryside near the hamlet of Castagnoli.
- taste the local lifeblood at medieval Castelvecchi and in the village of Volpaia, where wine cellars are tucked in former church crypts and beneath a historic palazzo.
- witness part of the cheese-making process during our visit to a family-run farm near the town of Pienza—where the region's most prized pecorino is produced.
View the Tuscany Walking & Coooking itinerary
CALL 800-462-2848 or your travel agent to reserve your trip. Open daily from 7 am to 5 pm, PT.
All contents and photography © 2013 Backroads | 801 Cedar Street, Berkeley, CA, 94710 | 800-462-2848