Backroads Trip Leaders: What Are We Looking For?
Backroads Leaders are adventurers and they are tough. They're interesting and engaging. They have strong interpersonal skills and they have fun connecting with everyone. Backroads Leaders have a natural grasp of logistics and they can run complex trips so smoothly it appears effortless. They're curious and knowledgeable, comfortable communicators. On top of that, they're mechanically inclined and they're easy hikers and cyclists.
Here are some other descriptors, they're: quick-thinking, team players, intuitive, funny, dynamic, active, decisive, professional, poised, motivated, friendly, empathetic, authentic, hardworking, assured, inexhaustible, creative, flexible, and inspirational...phew! We know we're all unique, and we don't all possesses each of these characteristics, but these are the qualities that define some of our most successful Backroads trip leaders. Do your skills, experiences and aptitudes enable you to answer "yes" to most of the questions below?
- Aside from delivering the highest level of quality and service, can you connect with each and every guest? Can you appreciate each person for who they are? Do you possess compassion, patience and an unwavering sense of humor?
- Do you possess superb people skills? Do you have a dynamic personality? Are you comfortable carrying on conversations with individuals from all walks of life? Are you able to read social cues and adapt your presentation naturally and easily? Are you confident, caring, warm and friendly? Do you have a zest for life?
- Are you good at anticipating, troubleshooting and solving challenging problems? Can you think on your feet? Can you stay focused on details while never losing sight of the big picture?
- Do you have in-depth knowledge of any of our regional destinations and/or cultural activities—art, natural and cultural history, food and wine, or other expertise?
- Can you sustain energy and motivation through long days and myriad (sometimes unglamorous) tasks? Are you capable of lifting bikes and luggage?
- Are you passionate about—and experienced in—active traveling and the outdoors? Are you capable of hiking or biking for long periods of time, and do those activities actually bring you joy?
- Would leading an epic biking trip be eagerly anticipated and come naturally to you? Perhaps you even possess solid bike mechanic skills and can 'talk the talk' with the most seasoned of riders?
- Can you appreciate the elegance of dining in a 16th-century château as well as sleeping beneath the stars? Do you possess a love for the beauty of the natural and cultural world?
- Do you speak other languages fluently? (If you're interested in working outside North America, Italian, French, Spanish and German are extremely desirable, but language skills for any of our destinations are helpful.) If you are a non-native English speaker, do you speak English fluently?
- Do you have a valid driver's license and an excellent driving record? Are you mechanically inclined?
- If you're interested in leading in Europe, can you confidently drive a manual transmission van, pulling a trailer, with guests in the vehicle with you?
- Are you 22 years old or older?
- Are you flexible in your approach to taking on all roles that a Backroads leader might do?
- Are you ready for one of the most challenging jobs you'll likely ever have? Are you ready to love what you do?