Job Opportunities with Backroads
Marketing Writer and Editor
Purpose of the job: To edit and write compelling and informative copy; to manage documents and workflow; and perform a variety of other editorial tasks, including fact-checking, editing and proofing.
Is this job right for you? If you’re looking for a jet-setting travel writing job, this position may not be what you’re looking for. If you have a background in technical writing, copywriting or editing, this could be a great fit.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
• Update existing Travel Planners (trip itineraries) and write Travel Planners for new trips adhering to the Backroads Style Manual and voice.
• Revise and refine copy that colorfully and accurately presents each trip’s daily activities, logistics and regional/cultural details, using information obtained from Trip Development staff and our Trip Essentials Database (TED).
• Fact-check hotel descriptions, prices and contact information, and verify transportation options, climate information, travel document requirements, etc.
• Manage Travel Planner workflow using TED, Excel reports, meetings and email communication.
• Format all Travel Planner copy into a Word template, and arrange graphics and text into a visually pleasing final document.
• Update web content using TED.
• Possibly contribute to and manage content for Backroads’ social media channels.
Knowledge and abilities
• Excellent copywriting, editing and proofreading skills (familiarity with Chicago Manual of Style desirable). Samples of previous work are required.
• Excellent communication skills, both verbally and in writing.
• Excellent attention to detail.
• Excellent problem-solving abilities.
• Excellent organization and time management skills. Ability to meet deadlines is a must.
• Proficiency with Microsoft Office suite, especially Word, Excel and Outlook.
• Experience with Word Review, Formatting and Styles tools desired.
• Ability to multitask using multiple systems.
• Ability to work at a computer desk for prolonged periods of time and occasionally lift up to 30 lbs.
To apply to this full-time, Berkeley-based position, please send:
• a cover letter explaining why you think you’d be a great fit for Backroads
• your resume
• the completed proofreading test at www.backroads.com/jobs/ProofingTest.pdf
• two original pieces of writing, including a 100-150 word writing sample about a Backroads destination of your choice
• salary requirements
to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Marketing Writer & Editor” in the subject line of your email or by fax to (510) 527-1789, Attn: HR/ Marketing Writer & Editor.
As the world's #1 active travel company, Backroads offers more bicycling, walking, hiking and multisport trips around the world than any other company. We are a service-oriented organization composed of high-energy individuals with varied backgrounds who enjoy people, travel and the outdoors.