Job Opportunities with Backroads
Marketing Writer & Editor
Purpose of job: To edit and write compelling and informative copy for Travel Planners; to contribute to and manage social media content; and perform a variety of other editorial tasks, including fact-checking, editing and proofing.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
• Update existing Travel Planners (trip itineraries) and write Travel Planners for new trips.
• Revise and refine copy that colorfully and accurately presents each trip’s daily activities, logistics and regional/cultural details, using information obtained from Trip Development staff and our Trip Essentials Database (TED).
• Fact-check hotel descriptions, prices and contact information, and verify transportation options, climate information, travel document requirements, etc.
• Manage Travel Planner workflow using TED, Excel reports, meetings and email communication.
• Format all Travel Planner copy into a Word template, and arrange graphics and text into a visually pleasing final document.
• Update web content using TED.
• Update and maintain Pre-departure pages as necessary.
• Contribute to and manage content for Backroads’ social media channels, including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and company blog.
Knowledge and abilities:
• Excellent copywriting, editing and proofreading skills (familiarity with Chicago Manual of Style desirable). Samples of previous work are required.
• Experience with corporate social media efforts desired. Familiarity with Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and blogging required.
• Excellent communication skills, both verbally and in writing.
• Excellent attention to detail.
• Excellent problem-solving abilities.
• Excellent organization and time management skills. Ability to meet deadlines is a must.
• Proficiency with Microsoft Office suite, especially Word, Excel and Outlook.
• Experience with Word Review, Formatting and Styles tools desired.
• Ability to multitask using multiple systems.
• PC proficiency required.
• Travel industry experience desirable.
• Ability to work at a computer desk for prolonged periods of time and occasionally lift up to 30 lbs.
To apply to this full-time, Berkeley-based position (no telecommuting), please send:
• a cover letter explaining why you think you’d be a great fit for Backroads
• your resume
• the completed proofreading test at http://www.backroads.com/jobs/ProofingTest.pdf
• two original pieces of writing, including one about a Backroads destination of your choice
• salary requirements
to email@example.com with “Marketing Writer & Editor” in the subject line of your email or by fax to (510) 527-1789, Attn: HR/ Marketing Writer & Editor.
As the world's #1 active travel company, Backroads offers more bicycling, walking, hiking and multisport trips around the world than any other company. We are a service-oriented organization composed of high-energy individuals with varied backgrounds who enjoy people, travel and the outdoors.