Job Opportunities with Backroads
Travel Planner Writer
PURPOSE OF JOB: To edit/write compelling and informative copy for Travel Planners that accurately presents each trip’s daily activities, logistics and other region-specific details. To perform a variety of other editorial tasks, including fact-checking, editing and proofing.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
• Update existing Travel Planners (trip itineraries) and create Travel Planners for new trips.
• Revise and refine copy that colorfully and accurately presents each trip’s day-to-day activities, logistics and regional/cultural details, using information obtained from Regional Managers /Trip Development Coordinators and Backroads’ internal Trip Essentials Database (TED). Fact-check hotel descriptions, prices and contact information, and verify transportation options, climate information, travel document requirements, etc.
• Work with other Travel Planner Writers and the Marketing Department to continually improve Travel Planners and related marketing materials.
• Manage Travel Planner workflow using TED, Excel reports and email communication.
• Format all Travel Planner copy into the Word template, and arrange graphics and text into a visually pleasing final document.
• Update web content using TED.
• Update and maintain Pre-departure pages as necessary.
KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES
• Excellent copywriting, editing and proofreading skills (familiarity with Chicago Manual of Style desirable).
• Excellent communication skills, both verbally and in writing.
• Excellent attention to detail.
• Excellent problem-solving abilities.
• Excellent organization and time management skills. Ability to meet deadlines is a must.
• Demonstrated writing ability; samples of previous work are required.
• Proficiency with Microsoft Office suite, especially Word, Excel and Outlook. Experience with Word Review, Formatting and Styles tools desired.
• Ability to multitask using multiple systems.
• PC proficiency required
• Travel industry experience desirable.
• Ability to work at a computer desk for prolonged periods of time and occasionally lift up to 30 lbs.
• Enthusiastic about working for Backroads and have a passion for active travel and the outdoors.
Competitive salary plus excellent benefits package including comprehensive medical, dental and vision insurance, 401(k) with employer match, flex plan, generous time-off and travel benefits, commuter incentive programs, etc. Backroads promotes work/life balance, and offers a fun, casual work environment.
To apply to this full-time, Berkeley-based position, please send:
• a cover letter explaining why you think you’d be a great fit for Backroads
• your resume
• the completed proofreading test at http://www.backroads.com/jobs/ProofingTest.pdf
• Two original pieces of writing, including one about a Backroads destination of your choice
• salary requirements
to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Travel Planner Writer” in the subject line of your email or by fax to (510) 527-1789, Attn: HR/Travel Planner Writer.
As the world's #1 active travel company, Backroads offers more bicycling, walking, hiking and multisport trips around the world than any other company. We are a service-oriented organization composed of high-energy individuals with varied backgrounds who enjoy people, travel and the outdoors.