Job Opportunities with Backroads
Payroll and HRIS Clerk
Amaze yourself. Amaze our guests.
A job at Backroads is unlike any other job you’ll ever have. You’ll be challenged. You’ll be inspired. And you’ll be gratified. Because whatever you do here, you’ll be part of something that makes us all proud—delivering authentic, enriching—and sometimes profoundly life-changing—experiences.
The devil is in the details.
Every world-class biking and hiking route. Every gourmet picnic. Every carefully orchestrated cultural connection. Everything. And it doesn’t just matter some of the time. It matters all of the time. That’s how we do things at Backroads. The result: guests so loyal to Backroads they travel with us 10, 20, 30, 40 or more times.
Making it look easy, isn’t easy.
Ask anyone at Backroads. It’s hard work. It means forever asking, “Is the guest experience the absolute best it can be?” More often than not our answer is “no.” We continuously redefine what an active vacation can be and establish standards no one else can match.
Does this sound like the kind of company you want to be a part of? If so, we can’t wait to meet you.
Payroll and HRIS Clerk
Who We Are Looking For
We are seeking an experienced payroll and HRIS clerk with exceptional attention to detail and exemplary communication and organizational skills to accurately and efficiently process multi-state (California and Utah) U.S. and Canadian payroll on a semi-monthly basis for a staff of approximately 400. Previous experience with HRIS software, preferably Paychex, is also critical to success in this position.
• Process Payroll. Accurately and efficiently process U.S. and Canadian payroll on a semi-monthly basis for a staff of approximately 400. Enter time tracking data (vacation, sick time, etc.), and payroll deductions (insurance, 401(k), Flex, etc.) and maintain related filings. Maintain payroll reports and payroll database. Act as liaison with internal managers and payroll software provider.
• Work with Human Resources Manager and Benefits Specialist to implement HRIS system, and populate the database with employee demographic information.
• Maintain integrity of data stored in HRIS, and look for ways to leverage system to gain operating efficiencies.
• Provide managers with monthly payroll management reports, and provide additional information as necessary during quarterly salary budgeting process.
• Prepare semi-monthly payroll journal entries, 401(k) and flex plan remittance reports.
• Assist in design and preparation of HR management reports. This includes, but is not limited to vacation accrual spreadsheets, salary analysis and comparison spreadsheets, deduction reports, etc.
• Maintain personnel files; process new hire and termination employment forms; ensure that all personnel files are up-to-date with appropriate, completed forms.
• Respond to and complete employment verifications, wage audit requests (workers comp, unemployment, etc.), and wage garnishment requests.
• Serve as back-up for placing job postings and resumé distribution to hiring managers.
• Assist and serve as back-up for processing enrollment for health insurance, 401(k), and flexible spending plans, and workers comp claim filings. Distribute benefits information, including quarterly 401(k) statements.
• Minimum of 2 years payroll and HRIS experience. Multi-state experience helpful, but not required.
• Working knowledge of FLSA and California wage and hour laws. Knowledge of Utah wage and hour laws helpful, but not required.
• Successful candidate must have exceptional organizational skills, be incredibly detail oriented, and possess rapid data entry ability.
• Proficiency with Paychex and/or ADP payroll and HRIS software required.
• Proficiency with MS Office required. Advanced Excel skills strongly preferred.
• Basic knowledge of accounting.
• General HR and employee benefits knowledge is a plus.
• Strong written and verbal communication skills.
• BS or BA with emphasis in HR, Accounting or Business, or comparable work experience.
• Ability to work at a computer desk for prolonged periods of time.
• Enthusiastic about working for Backroads and have a passion for active travel and the outdoors.
Competitive salary plus excellent benefits package including comprehensive medical, dental and vision insurance, 401(k) with employer match, flex plan, generous time-off and travel benefits, commuter incentive programs, etc. Backroads promotes work/life balance, and offers a fun, casual work environment.
To apply, please send a cover letter explaining why you think you’d be a great fit for Backroads along with your resume and salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Payroll and HRIS Clerk” in the subject line of your email or by fax to (510) 292-2793, Attn: HR/Payroll and HRIS Clerk. No phone calls please.
As the world's #1 active travel company, Backroads offers more bicycling, walking, hiking and multisport trips around the world than any other company. We are a service-oriented organization composed of high-energy individuals with varied backgrounds who enjoy people, travel and the outdoors.