Job Opportunities with Backroads
Seasonal Trip Operations Support (TOS) Assistant
Backroads, the world’s #1 active travel company, develops and runs first-class bicycling, walking and multisport vacations around the world. Our mission is to provide total guest satisfaction and superior results in all we do.
Day one. Step into the Backroads offices. You’ll be greeted by a creative, guest-focused, fun, fast-paced atmosphere. Working here, you’ll be on a team of bright and motivated individuals who share a common aim—to treat our guests to a totally unforgettable experience in a style of travel that is unparalleled in the travel industry.
So what makes us Backroads? Many wonderfully unique things, including:
• Our open work environment
• We work hard and play hard
• Company-organized outings, including annual staff rides, events and volunteer days
• Great travel and gear perks
• Vibrant startup atmosphere, yet the stability of being part of profitable 34-year old company
• Opportunities to grow
• A diverse and all-inclusive culture
The TOS Team provides a full range of administrative assistance. While much of the work is self-managed, this position supports various departments and multiple Regional Managers. Our fast-paced, high-volume, nimble environment demands someone adroit at content/data management, verbal and written communication as well as independent management of multiple tasks and projects with competing priorities and deadlines. The responsibility of this team is to effectively act as the intermediary between Backroads and our vendors resulting confirmed reservations and signed contracts.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Reservation Procurement
a. Generate, send and track reservation request letters for hotel and subcontractors. Obtain confirmations within a specified timeframe.
b. Book campground and ferry reservations online and process the related paperwork. (Due to booking policies, set by government agencies, this task may require working on a weekend and/or a holiday.)
c. Help obtain private trip reservations.
d. Acquire confirmation of released reservation blocks.
2. Regional Managers and Field Expert Support
a. Post documents for leaders/field staff to the company intranet.
b. Format reports for ease of use.
c. Distribute magazine articles and maps to the regions.
d. Research, as needed.
3. Hotel and Subcontractor Contract Assistance
a. Assist TOS with generating, sending and/or tracking contracts.
b. Ensure documents are signed prior to deadline and the contract module (database), online documentation and hard files contain accurate and consistent information.
c. Track and compile insurance certificates from specific contracted vendors and update the internal database.
4. Other Responsibilities
a. Create Elevation Profiles to be used by guests on trip.
b. Maintain and/or update our internal databases.
c. Audit reports and computer systems for errors and oversights.
d. Assist with event coordination, set up, and clean-up for company gatherings and leader hiring events.
e. Special projects as assigned.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES:
• Exceedingly detail-oriented
• Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Excel. Required: understanding of filters and basic formula writing. Ability to generate pivot tables a plus.
• Highly proficient at Microsoft Word and Outlook as well as effective at learning new systems (proprietary databases).
• Strong organizational and communication skills (verbal and written).
• Exceptional time management skills & project management skills.
• Foreign language skills a plus (Spanish, French and/or Italian preferred).
• Ability to work at a computer desk for prolonged periods of time and occasionally lift up to 30 lbs.
This position is seasonal/full-time through August/September 2013.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Monday, February 25, 2013
TO APPLY: Send your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with “TOS Assistant” in the subject line of your email. Please include your travel experience in your resume.
As the world's #1 active travel company, Backroads offers more bicycling, walking, hiking and multisport trips around the world than any other company. We are a service-oriented organization composed of high-energy individuals with varied backgrounds who enjoy people, travel and the outdoors.