Job Opportunities with Backroads
Amaze yourself. Amaze our guests.
A job at Backroads is unlike any other job you’ll ever have. You’ll be challenged. You’ll be inspired. And you’ll be gratified. Because whatever you do here, you’ll be part of something that makes us all proud—delivering authentic, enriching—and sometimes profoundly life-changing—experiences.
The devil is in the details.
Every world-class biking and hiking route. Every gourmet picnic. Every carefully orchestrated cultural connection. Everything. And it doesn’t just matter some of the time. It matters all of the time. That’s how we do things at Backroads. The result: guests so loyal to Backroads they travel with us 10, 20, 30, 40 or more times.
Making it look easy, isn’t easy.
Ask anyone at Backroads. It’s hard work. It means forever asking, “Is the guest experience the absolute best it can be?” More often than not our answer is “no.” We continuously redefine what an active vacation can be and establish standards no one else can match.
Does this sound like the kind of company you want to be a part of? If so, we can’t wait to meet you.
PURPOSE OF JOB
The Communications Specialist will be responsible for creating content via a variety of media to effectively tell the overall Backroads brand story on our external website, various social media channels and our extranet.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Supporting the Marketing Communications Manager, the Communications Specialist will work on creating multiple stories simultaneously for a wide range of internal and external customers.
• This role will also be responsible for working with all levels of management, will lead communication projects independently as well as work collaboratively within a team structure, assist in tracking and reporting impact of online communications, and managing web site and blog updates, working with content owners and web design team.
• Strategize with Company Founder & President, VP of Marketing, and Marketing Communications Manager on high-level company messaging.
• Craft broad company messages for a variety of communications that reflect our unique approach to travel and position Backroads as the leader in the market for each segment we operate in.
• Create special web, email and Facebook features, e.g. staff and trip leader profiles, blog postings, etc.
• Develop and maintain relationships with journalists, publications and websites with the highest potential to generate inquiries.
• Develop compelling, timely publicity angles, positioning Backroads as the active travel leader and keeping media current on new developments.
• Contribute content to monthly e-mail newsletters.
• Assist in the creation of the press release schedule and write all press releases.
• Oversee updating of the media database, including e-mail contacts.
• Serve as primary information resource for all media.
• Assist Quality with guest communication as needed.
• Edit and proofread as needed.
• Other duties as necessary and assigned.
KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES
• Excellent copywriting, copyediting and proofreading skills (familiarity with Chicago Manual of Style desirable).
• 3-5 years of progressively increasing communications skills and demonstrated success. Demonstrated ability in writing for specific media, e.g, emails, social media, web
• Superior oral communication skills.
• Ability to build relationships on behalf of the editorial function as a trusted advisor with individuals from all levels within the organization.
• Strong attention to detail. Ensures accuracy of communications and their delivery.
• Ability to work in a team environment across business areas and regions; build and maintain a network of internal and external relationships and sources.
• Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and remain focused, objective and effective under pressure.
• Ability to use social media channels effectively.
• Ability to plan and execute an interview. Video skills a plus.
• Ability to handle sensitive and confidential information.
• Innovative – ability to research and propose effective solutions.
• Skilled at planning, project management, time management and decision-making.
• Proficiency in Microsoft Outlook, PowerPoint, Excel and working with html.
• Marketing background and knowledge of online marketing desirable.
• Travel industry experience preferred.
• Enthusiastic about working for Backroads and have a passion for active travel and the outdoors.
Competitive salary plus excellent benefits package including comprehensive medical, dental and vision insurance, 401(k) with employer match, flex plan, generous time-off and travel benefits, commuter incentive programs, etc. Backroads promotes work/life balance, and offers a fun, casual work environment.
To apply, please send a cover letter explaining why you think you’d be a great fit for Backroads along with your resume, two original pieces of writing, including one about a Backroads destination of your choice, and salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Communications Specialist” in the subject line of your email or by fax to (510) 292-2793, Attn: HR/Communications Specialist.
As the world's #1 active travel company, Backroads offers more bicycling, walking, hiking and multisport trips around the world than any other company. We are a service-oriented organization composed of high-energy individuals with varied backgrounds who enjoy people, travel and the outdoors.