Job Opportunities with Backroads
Travel Planner Writer/Merchandising Specialist
Amaze yourself. Amaze our guests.
A job at Backroads is unlike any other job you’ll ever have. You’ll be challenged. You’ll be inspired. And you’ll be gratified. Because whatever you do here, you’ll be part of something that makes us all proud—delivering authentic, enriching—and sometimes profoundly life-changing—experiences.
The devil is in the details.
Every world-class biking and hiking route. Every gourmet picnic. Every carefully orchestrated cultural connection. Everything. And it doesn’t just matter some of the time. It matters all of the time. That’s how we do things at Backroads. The result: guests so loyal to Backroads they travel with us 10, 20, 30, 40 or more times.
Making it look easy, isn’t easy.
Ask anyone at Backroads. It’s hard work. It means forever asking, “Is the guest experience the absolute best it can be?” More often than not our answer is “no.” We continuously redefine what an active vacation can be and establish standards no one else can match.
Does this sound like the kind of company you want to be a part of? If so, we can’t wait to meet you.
Travel Planner Writer/Merchandise Specialist
Purpose of Job
In this split position, half of the year will be dedicated to editing/writing compelling and informative copy for Travel Planners while the other half will focus on the coordination of leader gear and guest merchandise.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
• Update existing Travel Planners (trip itineraries).
• Revise and refine copy that colorfully and accurately presents each trip’s day-to-day activities, logistics and regional/cultural details, using information obtained from Regional Managers (RMs)/Trip Development Coordinators (TDCs) and the Trip Essentials Database (TED).
• Fact-check hotel descriptions, prices and contact information, and verify transportation options, climate information, travel document requirements, etc.
• Format all Travel Planner copy into the Word template, and arrange graphics and text into a visually pleasing final document.
• Update web content in Trip Page Content in TED.
• Update and maintain Pre-departure pages as necessary.
• Source multiple apparel vendors, negotiate pricing and present findings to stakeholders.
• Oversee orders, shipping and embroidery of all items.
• Manage database and tracking of all employee sizing.
• Oversee fulfillment in 3 major hubs and 10+ leader houses.
• Calculate budget figures for 3-4 rounds of forecasting each year.
• Create overall branding message and packaging for each distribution tier as well as including marketing partnerships and TE Program.
• Create communication and fulfillment instructions and distribute to all stakeholders.
Company Pro Deals:
• Review, update and maintain the list of participating pro deal vendors.
• Update pro deal order forms, price lists and rules for ordering.
• Assist leaders/staff in setting up pro deal accounts and with ordering when necessary.
• Announce and coordinate special, one-time pro deal discounts.
• Source multiple apparel and merchandise vendors for the guest T-shirts and luggage tags.
• Assist with the sourcing, embroidery and ordering of BEST Club milestone gifts.
• Maintain Marketing merchandise inventory housed at 801 Cedar.
KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES
• Excellent copywriting, editing and proofreading skills (familiarity with Chicago Manual of Style desirable).
• Strong Excel skills; ability to create and use formulas and pivot tables.
• Excellent communication skills, both verbally and in writing.
• Excellent attention to detail.
• Excellent problem solving abilities.
• Excellent organization and time management skills. Ability to meet deadlines is a must.
• Excellent negotiation skills.
• Demonstrated writing ability; samples of previous work is required.
• Ability to multitask using multiple systems.
• PC proficiency required (Microsoft Office, especially Outlook, Word and Excel)
• Travel industry experience desirable.
• Enthusiastic about working for Backroads and have a passion for active travel and the outdoors.
Competitive salary plus excellent benefits package including comprehensive medical, dental and vision insurance, 401(k) with employer match, flex plan, generous time-off and travel benefits, commuter incentive programs, etc. Backroads promotes work/life balance, and offers a fun, casual work environment.
To apply, please send 1) cover letter, 2) resume, 3) the completed proofreading test at http://www.backroads.com/jobs/ProofingTest.pdf, 4) two writing samples, one of which should be an original piece of copy about a Backroads destination of your choice, limit 100 words, and 5) a statement about why you are the ideal candidate for this position to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Travel Planner Writer/Merchandise Specialist” in the subject line of your email or by fax to (510) 292-2793, Attn: HR/Travel Planner Writer/Merchandise Specialist.
As the world's #1 active travel company, Backroads offers more bicycling, walking, hiking and multisport trips around the world than any other company. We are a service-oriented organization composed of high-energy individuals with varied backgrounds who enjoy people, travel and the outdoors.