Job Opportunities with Backroads
Travel Planner Writer
Amaze yourself. Amaze our guests.
A job at Backroads is unlike any other job you’ll ever have. You’ll be challenged. You’ll be inspired. And you’ll be gratified. Because whatever you do here, you’ll be part of something that makes us all proud—delivering authentic, enriching—and sometimes profoundly life-changing—experiences.
The devil is in the details.
Every world-class biking and hiking route. Every gourmet picnic. Every carefully orchestrated cultural connection. Everything. And it doesn’t just matter some of the time. It matters all of the time. That’s how we do things at Backroads. The result: guests so loyal to Backroads they travel with us 10, 20, 30, 40 or more times.
Making it look easy, isn’t easy.
Ask anyone at Backroads. It’s hard work. It means forever asking, “Is the guest experience the absolute best it can be?” More often than not our answer is “no.” We continuously redefine what an active vacation can be and establish standards no one else can match.
Does this sound like the kind of company you want to be a part of? If so, we can’t wait to meet you.
Travel Planner Writer
PURPOSE OF JOB
To edit/write compelling and informative copy for Travel Planners that accurately presents each trip’s daily activities, logistics and other region-specific details. To perform a variety of other editorial tasks, including fact-checking, editing and proofing.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
• Update existing Travel Planners (trip itineraries).
• Revise and refine copy that colorfully and accurately presents each trip’s day-to-day activities, logistics and regional/cultural details, using information obtained from Regional Managers (RMs)/Trip Development Coordinators (TDCs) and the Trip Essentials Database (TED).
• Fact-check hotel descriptions, prices and contact information, and verify transportation options, climate information, travel document requirements, etc.
• Format all Travel Planner copy into the Word template, and arrange graphics and text into a visually pleasing final document.
• Update web content in Trip Page Content in TED.
• Make Travel Planners available to Trip Consultants via the reservations system (IBIS).
• Update and maintain Pre-departure pages as necessary.
KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES
• Excellent copywriting, editing and proofreading skills (familiarity with Chicago Manual of Style desirable).
• Excellent communication skills, both verbally and in writing.
• Excellent attention to detail.
• Excellent problem solving abilities.
• Excellent organization and time management skills. Ability to meet deadlines is a must.
• Demonstrated writing ability; samples of previous work is required.
• Ability to multitask using multiple systems.
• PC proficiency required (Microsoft Office, especially Outlook, Word and Excel).
• Travel industry experience desirable.
• Enthusiastic about working for Backroads and have a passion for active travel and the outdoors.
Competitive salary plus excellent benefits package including comprehensive medical, dental and vision insurance, 401(k) with employer match, flex plan, generous time-off and travel benefits, commuter incentive programs, etc. Backroads promotes work/life balance, and offers a fun, casual work environment.
Please send the following items:
1) cover letter including salary requirements
3) the completed proofreading test at http://www.backroads.com/jobs/ProofingTest.pdf
4) two writing samples, one of which should be an original piece of copy about a Backroads destination of your choice, limit 100 words
5) a statement about why you are the ideal candidate for this position
to email@example.com with “Travel Planner Writer” in the subject line of your email or by fax: (510) 292-2793, Attn: HR/Travel Planner Writer.
Application materials will not be reviewed until proofreading test is submitted.
As the world's #1 active travel company, Backroads offers more bicycling, walking, hiking and multisport trips around the world than any other company. We are a service-oriented organization composed of high-energy individuals with varied backgrounds who enjoy people, travel and the outdoors.