Our bike trips and hiking trips are already tons of fun, but many of our travelers and families make the fun last even longer by extending their active vacation either before or after their tour. We’ve picked 5 of our amazing active trips and included suggestions of where to travel to extend your getaway.
1) Party in Barcelona – Barcelona is the city where our Pyrenees to Costa Brava Biking starts and ends and it’s the perfect place to spend a few extra days. Barcelona is a vibrant Spanish city, formerly home to the summer Olympics, and the perfect place for a night out on the town. We recommend taking in a tapas bar or trying restaurant Mil921, featuring Catalan cuisine with a Japanese twist, owned by the brother of one of our Spanish Trip Leaders. After all, you deserve some delicious dinners after your Spain Biking Trip through some challenging mountain passes.
2) Get some Culture in Florence – Get your fill of art and culture in this Italian Renaissance gem. As the gateway city for our Tuscany Biking tour, we highly recommend adding on a few days – or even a week! In addition to the history and sites, Florence is also a great city for sumptuous Italian cuisine. Why not take a wine appreciation or group cooking class at the Apicius International School of Hospitality after your Italian bike tour? You can come home, bragging about your new Italian cooking skills!
3) Peruse Paris – You just can’t turn down an opportunity to see the City of Lights and its famous Eiffel Tower when you’re so close on our Loire Valley Biking trip. Stroll the city, stopping at cafes, sipping cappuccinos, and perhaps taking in some jazz at a lively club before or after your French bike tour. Here’s a site that offers the latest information about happenings in Paris.
4) Savor San Francisco – One of our most popular tours is the Wine Country Biking Tour. We have to admit seeing rolling hills by bike and sampling wine after wine is pretty amazing. To continue your California tour by bike, consider the Streets of San Francisco Bike Tours, founded by former Backroads leaders. They’ll take you off the beaten path of San Francisco and they offer Backroads customers a 15% discount. Just use the code “backroads” when booking.
5) Sight-see in Prague – Our Czech Republic & Austria Walking & Hiking Tour takes you from Prague to Salzburg, so consider a few additional days at the start to explore the wonderful city of Prague, the largest city in the Czech Republic. Did you know it’s the sixth most visited city in Europe after London, Paris, Rome, Madrid and Berlin? It’s known for its architecture and museums and if you have kids, be sure to check out the Prague Zoo, named one of the best in the world by Forbes.
Be sure to check with your Trip Planner if you have questions about extending your trip. We’re happy to provide suggestions and tips for making the most out of your extended vacation. For more information about any of our active tours, please call 800-462-2848 7 a.m.-5 p.m.