It’s so easy for families to get disconnected these days and planning a summer family trip can help bring everyone back together. But we’re not talking about family travel to a theme park where you overindulge on overpriced boxed foods and the only quality time you spend together is waiting in long lines to ride roller coasters. And we’re not talking about another trip to the beach with little activity and few new experiences. In fact, what we suggest is something enlightening. Something memorable. And something your family does together.
Backroads has created family vacations where you can see and touch some of nature’s most amazing wonders. Imagine marveling at how Old Faithful goes off like clockwork and never noticing that your cell phone hasn’t gone off all day. Revel in the camaraderie that forms between you and your children as you’re white water rafting down Snake River or kayaking into a sea cave. And we’re going to bet dog sledding in Alaska is an experience your family will never forget!
Backroads creates family adventure vacations where kids can learn without being “taught” in the traditional sense and families can do things they enjoy in an environment that brings everyone together. They’ll learn more experiencing these marvels firsthand on walking tours, biking tours and multisport adventures than they would in any textbook. Consider it a summer science lesson!
Backroads has created itineraries that balance quality time together and apart. Backroads even offers recommended reading for travel to help children and parents become familiar and excited about their upcoming adventure.
Some of Backroads’ family adventures, all of which are suggested for children 6 and older, during the summer of 2012 include:
- Yellowstone & Tetons Multisport – Where the west is still wild! Families bike through Yellowstone, see the alpine meadows on foot, kayak across Yellowstone Lake, explore Grand Teton National Park and white water raft through Snake River. Prices start at $2,898/person.
- San Juan Islands Multisport – Spend this family vacation exploring San Juan by water and land. Your days are filled with whale watching, kayaking, biking and hiking to Mount Constitution for beautiful 360-degree views of the islands. Prices start at $2,598/person.
- Hawaii’s Big Island Multisport – Hike the world’s most active volcano, kayak to Akaka Falls and into sea caves, snorkel, take a surfing lesson – and much more! Prices start at $2,998/person.
- Bryce, Zion & Grand Canyon Multisport – Hike, bike, mule ride and rock climb the slot canyons and don’t miss the sun set at the gorge’s rim. Prices start at $2,498/person.
- Montana Glacier Family Multisport – For the ultimate in history lessons, bike around Lake McDonald which was formed 10,000 years ago by retreating glaciers! Breathtaking waterfalls, horseback riding on mountain trails, cookouts under the stars and whitewater rafting make this trip a family’s dream vacation. Prices start at $2,698/person.
- Yosemite Multisport –Yosemite invites you to stand among the giant sequoias, rock climb, hike through ancient trees, take a mule ride; and for the parents, the spa is waiting. Prices start at $3,098/person.
- Maine Multisport – Families cycle along Maine’s coastline, kayak across a lake, let the kids pull a lobster trap out of the ocean and be on the look out for bald eagles soaring through the skies. Prices start at $2,898/person.
- Alaska Family Multisport – When will you and your family ever be able to ride a dog sled through the Alaskan forest or hike up a glacier again? Watch the unbelievable feat salmon accomplish as they leap up a waterfall! Alaska is a natural wonder at every turn. Prices start at $2,698/person.
Let the kids have a hand in picking which adventure you choose to embark upon and start dreaming of your summer getaway today. Give us at call at 800-462-2848 with questions or to book your trip. Have a great summer!